PDA

View Full Version : Running very slow

Vaioarch
2005-10-12, 04:53 AM
Revit has started running really slow on my new project. Just the last two days. I'm using a 1 ghz w/ 1.5mb of ram. I was using 512 and added more once the slowness started but it didn't help.

Most areas are fine but when I work in an area on the 2nd floor with a floor raised higher it slows down. Just deleting one little wall can take a few minutes! This project is not very far along but the file size is already larger than a project that I have completed. Both are houses, the completed one is around 11mb and the new one that is not even close to done is 16mb. I did start with the old project file and deleted everything to start the new one so that the families would be there already. I know I prob. shouldn't have done that. Is there a way to purge families that are loaded but not being used?

Any ideas what could be causing my problem?

Still learning,
Ronnie

blads
2005-10-12, 05:20 AM
I cant offer any suggestions as to what is causing the slow down, but if understand corrently your computer cpu is 1 ghz w/ 1.5mb of ram (i think you meant ram = 1.5 Gb)...

off hand I'd say its time to upgrade your cpu... I recently went from a 2ghz cpu (and I thought that was slow) to a new P4 3.4ghz

Batman
2005-10-12, 07:14 AM
1Ghz....:shock:

I'm running a 3Ghz and think its slow.....O the pain.

Blads, how do you find the 3.4? Is it a Intel HTor AMD?

eldad
2005-10-12, 07:33 AM
hmmm... do you have any linked dwg's in that view? do you have any complicated family array? do you have shadows on in that view?
hard to tell but could be many things, just check what is different in this view to the others...

Elmo
2005-10-12, 08:24 AM
hmmm... do you have any linked dwg's in that view? do you have any complicated family array? do you have shadows on in that view?
hard to tell but could be many things, just check what is different in this view to the others...
eldad if it's only a 10 to 16 mb file (which is the avarage size for alot of revit projects) and it's lagging in any view it tends to be your hardware.

I would suggest upgrading to at leat 3.4 processor with 2 gb of ram and good graphics card(for rendering purposes).For a better idea of what to get look at this http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24968&highlight=hardware link and go from there.

Hope this helps you ronnie.

Cheers Clinton

Batman
2005-10-12, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure that Rendering performance is so much dependant on your graphics card as it is on your CPU/s power.

Elmo
2005-10-12, 10:24 AM
All rendering programmes need a powerful graphics card simply because it will reduce the rendering time needed. The faster you can render the less time you have to spend tweaking the renders allowing you to do more work. A good graphics card also relieves alot of the stress on the CPU so it can be used for Revit and less on creating an image for you to see.Take a 3D Mark 2005 test on your PC and it will tell you everything you need to know about your PC.

BWG
2005-10-12, 12:25 PM
I have a laptop with P4 3.0 w/ HT and 2 GB of ram. It is slower than my amd xp 3200 w/ 1 gb of ram desktop.

gbrowne
2005-10-12, 12:33 PM
Its just recently started running slow? Have you by any chance a lot of line drawings, either revit or cad imports, or a linked file with an xref attached to it prior to importing? Apparently these slow it right down.

Or, maybe your chair leg is on the server cable..... maybe.

Elmo
2005-10-12, 12:41 PM
I don't want to get into an amd vs intel discussion since everyone has their particular likes or dislikes. As far as I understand it the processing speed of an amd is different from that of intel and even though there have been complaints about amd's having higher temperatures they are better at processing than intel. If properly cooled an amd is very powerful but most people don't want to spend that extra bit on a good cooling system , so they tend to go with intel. A note on rendering alot of the work is done by the processor (not completely disagreeing with Vince) but those good graphics cards make the job so much easier and thats why I originally stated to get a good graphics not the High end type.

I prefer the amd's, but I'm a computer gamer so I like great performance all round.

sbrown
2005-10-12, 12:53 PM
I doubt it is your computer, however upgrading never hurts. I've had projects that do this and I recomend you send the file in and see if they can identify the issue. Sometimes its a bad group, or a wall with strange constraints on it, many times its area plans. For some reason revit is having to do more calculations on that specific area, there is a reason, but its very hard to trouble shoot.

blads
2005-10-12, 01:21 PM
1Ghz....:shock:

I'm running a 3Ghz and think its slow.....O the pain.

Blads, how do you find the 3.4? Is it a Intel HTor AMD?
I think its great...runs like a trooper and its an Intel HT

my last PC was an AMD - it ran way tooo hot

Vaioarch
2005-10-13, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for the quick response. I bit the bullet and built a new PC yesterday! I'm flying thru the stuff now! Woohoo!

Thanks,
Ronnie

kevin.matherly
2006-02-18, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I got the same problems. I was working fine but as the project file size grew, performance died. I now have a "task bar" that appears periodically showing some kind of processing, this processing generally takes 20 - 30 seconds to complete, seems like a lifetime after about the 4th iteration.

I thought it was a memory problem, I only have 512M, but the performance monitor shows no history paging or swapping. I have a DWG file I import for reference but delete that when I'm finished with it. My CPU is 3.2GHZ.

Scott D Davis
2006-02-18, 04:20 PM
Still seems like 1 gig of RAM would help you out.

MartyC
2006-02-19, 03:00 AM
Have you had advanced graphics tuirned on in any of the views?

If I have that turned on in a view it brings my P4 3.6 with 2Gb fast ram to a crawl.

Hope all is now good.

CheersM

muttlieb
2006-02-19, 03:07 AM
Have you had advanced graphics tuirned on in any of the views?
If I have that turned on in a view it brings my P4 3.6 with 2Gb fast ram to a crawl.

Marty, do you have OpenGL Hardware acceleration turned on? That will speed up views with shadows turned on significantly. Of course, not all video cards work well with OpenGL turned on.

tc3dcad60731
2006-02-19, 03:32 AM
I have a 2.4 with 1gig ram, 256mb graphics, 7200rpm hdd, winxp pro, and a 2gig page file. If I leave a file open for awhile working on it or make a lot of changes it slows down significantly. If I simply close out of Revit and restart the file size will drop a few mb and Revit speeds back up. It is almost like the old days of ACAD when you were lugging around the huge undo file!

Mr Spot
2006-02-19, 06:00 AM
I have a 2.4 with 1gig ram, 256mb graphics, 7200rpm hdd, winxp pro, and a 2gig page file. If I leave a file open for awhile working on it or make a lot of changes it slows down significantly. If I simply close out of Revit and restart the file size will drop a few mb and Revit speeds back up. It is almost like the old days of ACAD when you were lugging around the huge undo file!
Are you using the latest build...?

As there have been a few builds that have had a memory leak that caused this sort of behaviour.

tc3dcad60731
2006-02-19, 08:02 PM
Are you using the latest build...?

As there have been a few builds that have had a memory leak that caused this sort of behaviour.

Honestly, No! I have downloaded but am sitting in the middle of a project now and have another one right behind it. I have not upgraded to the latest build that Tatjana posted the other day for fear that I might lose some integrity on the current job file. BUT I am going to upgrade it prior to starting the next job.