PDA

View Full Version : Map Annotation

tlewald
2005-10-13, 12:04 PM
I am preparing a document to help explain the use of map annotation to the users of our organization and I was hoping to gather some tidbits from the community here to help.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Wanderer
2005-10-13, 12:43 PM
I am preparing a document to help explain the use of map annotation to the users of our organization and I was hoping to gather some tidbits from the community here to help.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.I am not sure what would be most helpful for this, you might want to check out some of the older AU handouts (http://www.augi.com/education/auhandouts.asp?page=726)and check out what those instructors thought was worth covering.

tlewald
2005-10-13, 12:49 PM
thank you very much for the reply and link.

I have found some very useful information from the AU handouts in the past and will continue to lean on them in the future when preparing documentation.

any personal touches the community could add would be greatly appreciated.

Jmurphy
2005-10-14, 08:13 PM
A lot depends on how your company plans on using the annotations and what version of Map you are using. A few things that may help or may not.
1. When you create a anno block you can use more than one line for the text, just select more properties, OD field, or SQL-Dbase values. Each line can be set at different text style/ht./layer/color etc. They don't have to be all the same.
2. You can include geometry with the blocks, ie.. create a speed limit sign as a rectangle with text SPEED LIMIT and use your data as the attributes. You can even get fancy and create a house symbol and use that for labeling parcel data instead of plain jane text.
3. Update- biggest reason to use anno tools over other methods, just change the values in the dbase, OD table and click the update on the toolbar. A lot faster if an street gets renamed and you need to change all the parcel address.
4. Lisp expressions work (sometimes) with them, example property value in your data is 100,000.00, by using (strcat " $" (your expression)) you now show $ 100,000.
5. Because the geeks at AUGI say use them.