PDA

View Full Version : Slab edge question

mikemck
2005-10-13, 07:16 PM
Can a slab edge host sweep cut the slab?

I am trying to create a 4" concrete slab on 4" gravel fill and use a slab edge sweep to show perimeter insulation on the bottom of the slab. I want the insulation to cut the gravel fill.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Mike

mikemck
2005-10-16, 10:16 PM
:banghead:

I would still welcome a comment or answer to this.

Thanks.

Mike

neb1998
2005-10-17, 02:10 AM
On the bottom of the slab? why not add it to the floor components like with the compact fill?

Or do you mean the foundation wall? Perhaps send a quick sketch of what you are trying to do in section and i can lead you to the solution.

mikemck
2005-10-17, 02:31 AM
Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to make the "L" shaped rigid insulation a slab edge sweep and the 4" granular fill a component of the floor.

When I do this the fill runs through the insulation.

I would like the insulation to cut the fill.

I don't know if this is possible.

Is it?

Thanks.

Mike

David Haynes
2005-10-17, 03:16 AM
Is there a need to model this, or would you get the same benefit by using the following:

1. Make a floor that has the gravel as part of the cut pattern - you can use ACAD patterns (do a search in this forum for process).
2. Make a wall section of the area.
3. Use a filled region for the rigid insulaton.

Hope this helps.

mikemck
2005-10-17, 04:33 AM
David,

Thanks for your reply.

I just thought if I model it that it would show up in any section or detail.

This seemed like a good plan if it is actually possible.

What I wound up doing is using a slab edge for the insulation and a filled region for the granular fill.

The disadvantage of this is that I have to do it for every view that shows this condition.

So, I would still like to know if what I was attempting is possible. It seems like this is a common condition and would not be a concern unique to me.

Thanks again.

Mike

blads
2005-10-17, 05:54 AM
David,

Thanks for your reply.

I just thought if I model it that it would show up in any section or detail.

This seemed like a good plan if it is actually possible.

What I wound up doing is using a slab edge for the insulation and a filled region for the granular fill.

The disadvantage of this is that I have to do it for every view that shows this condition.

So, I would still like to know if what I was attempting is possible. It seems like this is a common condition and would not be a concern unique to me.

Thanks again.

Mike If you create a profile of your desired insulation, then create a sweep (rather than a floor sweep) based on your "insulation" profile, I believe you'll get as close "simulation" / approximation your desired results...

aaronrumple
2005-10-17, 10:56 AM
A slab edge can work great for this...

See attached. No need to resort to drafting.

mikemck
2005-10-18, 05:02 PM
Aaron,

This is exactly what I was trying to do.

When I tried it the insulation did not cut the sand fill.

Do you know why it didn't work for me?

Mike

aaronrumple
2005-10-18, 05:09 PM
Are you just doing a horizontal insulation that is 100% within the boundary of the floor? If that is the case, the floor will swallow the slab edge. Some portion must stick out as in my example.

You can work around this by making two slabs. Just copy the concrete slab down and change it to a sand slab. Apply the edge to the upper salb and then join all 3 objects.