PDA

View Full Version : Bugs and Problems I encounter in Revit 6

Richard McCarthy
2004-02-27, 02:20 AM
1. Area Schedule needs a lot of re-tooling and bug fixing, one thing happen is that if you click Area Settings > New, and goes to the next tab, sometimes (for certain files) it will just crash Revit to desktop.

2. Area Schedule needs to be able to calculate sub categories, and have option to omits categories you don't want to calculate in certain instances.
(eg. Internal + External, then GFA, Grand total) It needs to be more MS EXCEL like...with more flexibility.

3. Should have more user definable area boundry rules (because right now, it seems it only adhere to American standard??) eg. follow wall centerline regardless of area type.

4. More robust JPEG support. It seems Revit can only support a very rigid standard of JPEG, sometimes, JPG files export from Illustrator (or other apps) is un-readable or corrupted (just a gray mess).

5. Sort order option should also be more robust. It seems it doesn't work sometimes when there are a lot of objects on screens, and revit have a hard time figuring out who's on top.

6. OpenGL implementation needs to be sorted out. Right now it's a GREAT feature that only benefit a small set of users because you need to have EXACT specified card to make it work properly. But, sometimes even with exactly specified card, it sometimes still buggy, OpenGL seems to accelerate both 2D and 3D a lot faster than without, where greatest gain is in 3D (continous update), while 2D it is quite buggy where Z-Order sorting, objects/drawings won't show up a lot of times when too many drawings are open (video memory run out?)

7. When pasting schedule sheet back into sheet for presentation, if area schedule list is long and some breaking needs to be done, I am not sure how everyone does it, I just put some of those schedule off the screen but when I try printing, Revit automatically prints everything off-screen while resized the whole drawing space.

Wesley
2004-02-27, 02:28 AM
As to your last point - I find that if I dump stuff off the sheet TO THE LOWER RIGHT QUADRANT it will still print the page correctly, it seems to only be related to things above or to the left of the sheet.
Wes

PeterJ
2004-02-27, 05:59 AM
Printer origin is at bottom left of sheet (from memory) in Revit, so printing with a page setting at sheet size and a zoom of 100%, a margin set to printer default or no margin will print the sheet without printing anything to the right of the sheet or above it.

I suggest yo check this yourself given the slight discrepancy between Wesley's advice and mine, but the logic is broadly as I describe it.

Wesley
2004-02-27, 06:32 AM
Ahh, but Pete, don't forget that I am in Australia, so of course, everything is upside down...
In the meantime, I will double-check my memory on this.

Richard McCarthy
2004-02-28, 02:09 AM
Thanks Peter J, Wesley!

How about the calculating sub category in Revit schedule sheet?...
Do you guys know how to do it?

beegee
2004-02-28, 03:12 AM
How about the calculating sub category in Revit schedule sheet?...
Do you guys know how to do it?

Richard, if you can give an example of exactly what you are wanting to achieve with sub totals in schedules, we might be able to respond better.

If you are requesting a full excel like capability to sub-total only selected cells in a column, when all cells are visible (ie have not been filtered ) then that is something else.

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-01, 09:17 AM
If you are requesting a full excel like capability to sub-total only selected cells in a column, when all cells are visible (ie have not been filtered ) then that is something else.

That's exactly what I want :)

beegee
2004-03-01, 09:32 PM
OK, but in what circumstances would you do that in lieu of filtering ?

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-04, 01:48 AM
It is just for the design options, so my boss knows GFA, or sub-total of of certain elements and how it affect the general GFA.

beegee
2004-03-04, 02:49 AM
... and filtering the schedules won't work for that ?......