PDA

View Full Version : ADA compliant railing styles!

psmith73426
2005-10-14, 02:14 PM
Why is it that Autodesk can program that can do just about everything other than a simple wall mounted pipe rail that is 1 1/2" dia. and has a 1 1/2" clearance to the wall that it is mounted to. For crying out loud, could it be any simpler? While I am on my rant, how about better documentation of "How to edit an existing railing styles profile".

Scott D Davis
2005-10-14, 05:36 PM
So should I add this to the list of Families (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=27153) we would like to have?

psmith73426
2005-10-14, 05:53 PM
Absolutely! Something as simple as this should not give the programmers too much heartburn to refine.

Thanks.

Scott D Davis
2005-10-14, 09:33 PM
"How to edit an existing railing styles profile".Coming....I saw a Power Point yesterday that might become avaialable.

Did you see the Handrail extensions that are availabe in the Web Library (http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/index.html)? There is a 1 1/2" dia, 1 1/2" offset from the wall pipe handrail component.....

There is also on the Web Library, a "railing Sample" file and a "Stair Sample" file from which you can cut and paste stairs/handrail types into your project and use. Attached is an example of a stair with a wall mounted pipe handrail.

psmith73426
2005-11-16, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Scott,
However, how can I use Revit information in ADT '06?
It would be nice to have the ability to eidt railing styles easily in ADT.
Pete

david_peterson
2005-11-16, 03:56 PM
I'd like to get the ability to have a bullnose tread as well, but I haven't found the option yet. If ADT can do stairs to code (or at least I thought it was supposed to) it should be able to follow them. They aren't that difficult.

Scott D Davis
2005-11-16, 10:24 PM
Oh shoot! I'm sorry guys, I didn't realize I was answering in a ADT forum!!!

H-Angus
2005-11-17, 09:34 AM
I'd like to get the ability to have a bullnose tread as well, but I haven't found the option yet. If ADT can do stairs to code (or at least I thought it was supposed to) it should be able to follow them. They aren't that difficult.

Hi David do you mean for the first tread to have a bullnose to it? Not sure whether this is what you mean but check out a thread where Steve Bennet answered with this:

Sorry not sure how to link to other threads.....

RE: Stairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like what I have in the attached file? It's a simple edge customization projection. Just pick the stair, right click, Edge, Project & project it to a polyline representing your curve.
Attached Files stair example2.dwg (116.2 KB, 5 views)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Steve_Bennett : November 15th, 2005 at 07:43 AM.

david_peterson
2005-11-17, 03:25 PM
Nope, I'm talking about the ability to show a true bull nose edge on every tread as you would typically see in any nice wood stair.

I saw Steve's post, I thought that only applied to the first step. But then again, wouldn't a check box be nicer that doing all that modifying? I guess I'd also like to be able to choose the profile for the stringers while I'm at it.

psmith73426
2005-11-17, 03:28 PM
Guys,

This is fun to have you talk about bullnose styles on stairs, however there are stiil no answers to my original question.

david_peterson
2005-11-17, 03:40 PM
Guys,

This is fun to have you talk about bullnose styles on stairs, however there are stiil no answers to my original question.Sorry, I was on a rant as well.
Anyway, if you can get the railing where you want it, modify the style. Under the components tab, letter "b" handrail, you can change that profile to anything you want. So if you wanted a handrail shaped like Mickey Mouse you can do it. Or you could use one of the guard rail style and just turn off all of the components except the hand rail. So I guess you style is there, or at least somewhat there. Although it would be nice not to have to create these common elements.
There is also in the style manager there is a handrail - round. They may be just what you are looking for. I think you may just be missing the wall brackets.
Happy modeling.