PDA

View Full Version : Linework tool & export to Dwg

Nic M.
2004-02-27, 02:04 PM
I'm having issues when exporting to acad

If I select objects with the Linework tool on the "Above level" to display them in the current level, it seems to me these lines don't get exported to acad.
Lines selected in the current view with the linework tool and export, work well.

Anybody experience the same?

aggockel50321
2004-02-27, 04:53 PM
Nic,

When you say
If I select objects with the Linework tool on the "Above level" to display them in the current level, are you referring to objects on the level above, or are you saying you're using linetype "level above" in the linework tool?

Nic M.
2004-02-27, 07:19 PM
Andrew,

I mean to set the level above as underlay in the view properties and with the linework tool select some objects to Hidden or Overhead whatever...

Set the underlay back to none
export to dwg...

no lines in acad

I really need to be sure that the plan I export to acad is the same as in revit

aggockel50321
2004-02-27, 09:43 PM
Nic,

Try this.

Do the same as you are doing with the linework tool, but rather than using the linework tool, use the detail line tool with the pick option(drafting tab).

Then try the export & see if these lines show up. If they don't, try placing the view on a sheet, & then exporting it.

One of the methods should work.

sbrown
2004-02-27, 10:42 PM
I've got to harp on this, since I've been experiencing export problems this week. Its time for Revit and Acad to get together and make the export/import settings really work. This can't be too hard. Surface patterns need to export to sep layers, cut patterns need to export to sep layers and export the same color. Today I exported an elevation/section and the same grey solid fill assigned to the walls and floors and roofs in course exported 2 diff colors. Hatches, don't even go there, even if you are using acad hatch patterns they do strange things. If you use the linework tool it places additional lines on top of other lines(a big acad no,no) Grid lines don't export to a proper line type, mine exported as continuous lines. While I would like to work in a Revit only environment the reality is for the next many years we will need both to interact much more seamlessly than they do now.

My expectation which I don't think is unreasonable, is that you can export WYSIWYG from revit to acad. Anything you can print from revit you should be able to export and print from Acad without cleanup.

Another issue i've recently encountered is the export of doors and windows, the same door family will get exported to acad as a diff. block for each instance so you can't "clean up" the block in autocad and it fix all the other instances you have to replace all the instances of the item.

Nic M.
2004-03-01, 09:37 AM
Andrew,

I used the detail line tool and they do export now. Thanks
Maybe a moderator can place this in the tips and tricks section?

Scott,
I agree on better export to dwg,..
WYSIWYG is the least I expect, I shoulden't spent time on checking a dwg to see if all lines did export.
I must be absolutly sure that the revit plan view and the dwg are the same.
It was my understanding that this is one of the fundamentals of revit.

Sorry to be ranting about this, but it kept me bussy for the weekend so now i'm a bit grumpy

cphubb
2004-03-01, 03:46 PM
We have also had some of the above problems exporting to Autocad. The problems seem to be worse with 6. With 4.5 we have almost no export problems, but still had some of the common import problems. With 5.1 the export problems started to show, and with 6 they go worse.

However the problems pale in comparison ot the proxy problems we had with ADT. Try gettting a CAD illiterate structural engineer to download and install object enablers and configureAutocad to work. Not Easy. Not to mention we had at least 2 consultants who were not allowed to install the enablers because their IT people said they crashed systems. Go figure.

Anyway the Revit export is cleaner than ADT was. I look for some future improvement.

Chris

sbrown
2004-03-01, 07:10 PM
I too experienced less export issues with early releases of revit, I think there are 2 diff. ways to write to dwg the open source way and the autodesk way. Prior to the merger(acquisition) the open source way was used which is very simple and produced good results. Now we are seeing the first steps in the more complex way. This hopefully will pan out with "smarter" exports. But it is quite annoying that it doesn't work as well as it used to.

aaronrumple
2004-03-01, 08:14 PM
I've always been amazed that the only people in the world that can't read the DWG format are those at Autodesk.

This issue isn't limited to Revit, but plagues the entire Autodesk product line.