PDA

View Full Version : Sketched Rebar doesn't show correct thickness

kmarsh
2005-10-14, 06:11 PM
Is there a way to have rebar that is sketched-in show the correct thickness (i.e., to scale) I've just put in a #14 bar for demo purposes and it shows up looking like a #1 bar.

Maybe this has been covered? Should this be a wish-list item or is there currently a way to do it?

Oh, and no, I do not currently draw my rebars to different thicknesses. I was just thinking that it might be nice to have RS do it since it is aware of what bar it is. Might help me keep the rod-busters happy(er).

erikbjur
2005-10-14, 07:00 PM
The detail components draw to the correct thickness. Revit should draw the real rebar to the correct thickness. That is one of the advantages of modeling. We engineers can solve problems in the computer before they hit the same problem in the field.

kmarsh
2005-10-14, 07:08 PM
So, modelled rebar must be for some other (ultimate) purpose? Is there some intent that modelled rebar will export to analysis packages and detail-component rebar is just for show?

Tom Weir
2005-10-14, 07:43 PM
Hi,
The modeled Rebar shows correctly in section, but not in elevation. The rebar diameter in elevation is controlled in the Object Styles. The Rebar bends in elevation do show correctly though.
In our office we show rebar in elevation pretty much as one width when we draw it in Autocad. It's not such a big deal for us unless it gets to be a very big bar.
I think the elevation view should show either way, all one width, or with an override that allows real width to show. It could definately make a difference in a tight concrete column to concrete beam detail.
Cutting wall sections form your model then adding Rebar really works well when you get the hang of it. The features for ties and stirrups is especially nice.
Depending upon whethor you are a detailing office or a designer office you can accomplish qutie a bit with the Rebar functionality.

Have a great day....

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

David Sammons
2005-11-04, 08:26 PM
I vote yes for adding this to the 'Wish List'. It is very important to me that the reinforcing bar object display to the proper diameter for each bar, not just as a detail component (which it already does) but also as a model component. This will be very beneficial when checking reinforcing steel conflicts at joint intersections and other conditions.

kmarsh
2005-11-04, 09:33 PM
I'll drop it over in the Wishlist. I concur, the rebar would be most helpful if it showed the correct thickness and it doesn't seem like a difficult feature. We're either modeling or we're not, right?

-ken

James.Lupton
2005-11-08, 12:21 AM
I vote yes for this although what I would like is a bit different.

On small scale drawings, smaller diameter bars will be too fine to show up effectively and therefore I would prefer a minimum line thickness to be used. On larger scale details, the line thicknesses will be more meaningful and therefore it will help if the bar size represents a proper scaled line thickness

or in other words

If the scaled line thickness is less than 0.7mm (or alternative user defined value) use 0.7mm otherwise use the scaled line thickness.

jsr13
2006-05-19, 03:32 AM
I do believe that our esteemed colleague from the British Isles has the best idea yet. If they fix this to show the correct size, why not at least make it an option (in preferences/settings) to show a minimum size? In the programming, it sounds like it should just be a simple "if" statement or two added in somewhere. Right?