PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE Journal files!!!!

dfriesen
2005-10-17, 07:03 PM
I was working hard for a couple of hours this morning, getting a whole bunch of stuff done. There was some stuff I wanted to show as "future" in dashed lines, and got Wes to give me a couple of pointers on how to do this with phasing.

Not having listened quite closely enough, it took me a few tries to get it working properly. In the mean time, I muddled some things up, and decided to go back to where I was before starting the messing around. I closed the file without saving, thinking I'd saved it just before that point. I hadn't. I hadn't saved AT ALL this morning!!! :|

So I opened the last journal file, deleted the stuff from the first instance of the Phasing command onward, saved the file, and ran it. I sat back and watched everything I'd done till then being done very quickly. When it got to the end, my work was all there, just as it should be!

Big thank-you to the developers for putting in this great little feature!! It sure saved me some (well deserved) grief today.

Oh, and I realized that I sure zoom in and out a lot. ;)

sfaust
2005-10-17, 08:34 PM
wow, strange coincidence. I was just working on a somewhat complex family this morning for probably an hour or so and hadn't saved (I know, slap my wrist) and Revit fatal errored. I actually had two files open, so I thought I was not going to be able to get it back, but I was able to delete all references to the other file and watch my work redone for me as well in about 3 minutes! Gotta love 'em when they work!

Wes Macaulay
2005-10-17, 10:12 PM
I have only used journals to save my bacon once, and it failed somewhere along the way. So today I'm basking in Daniel's good fortunes :mrgreen:

sfaust
2005-10-17, 11:55 PM
yeah, I've had it not work or only partially work several times, but this time it worked completely :)

The Sweg
2005-12-20, 12:08 PM
I just came across this thread in trying to salvage an entire day of work that may be lost. It seems you can 'run' your last journal file to repeat everything that you did. I may be able to use this, but I'm not sure how to. How exactly do you 'run' a journal file? I opened it up, I know where it is. But I don't know what to do with it! Help!

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-12-20, 12:32 PM
derek,
Close your Revit session, drag the most recently saved journal file onto your Revit Icon on your desktop.
Grab some coffee, sit back and enjoy.images/icons/icon10.gif

dsw98
2005-12-20, 04:03 PM
Where are Journal files located?

A3D
2005-12-20, 04:25 PM
They are located in:
..\Autodesk Revit Building 8.1\Journals

irwin
2005-12-22, 01:35 AM
derek,
Close your Revit session, drag the most recently saved journal file onto your Revit Icon on your desktop.
Grab some coffee, sit back and enjoy.images/icons/icon10.gif
Remember that if during the session you saved the file then in order for the journal to run you'll need to first restore that version of the file. Also, I recommend making a backup copy in another directory of any files that are involved before rerunning the journal.