PDA

View Full Version : ADT2006 and laptops

htlmv
2005-10-19, 02:17 PM
I'm wondering if ADT 2006 will run on some of the mid level price range with 1.9ghz processors and 1gig of ram. ($1400. range)

i would like to get a laptop to work from home and at work.

tossed between laptop and desktop for ADT2006.

thanks,
Howard

Mike.Perry
2005-10-19, 02:21 PM
Hi

ADT 2006 "Features & Specifications" (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5141515)

Have a good one, Mike

CADKitty
2005-10-19, 03:05 PM
I'm wondering if ADT 2006 will run on some of the mid level price range with 1.9ghz processors and 1gig of ram. ($1400. range)

i would like to get a laptop to work from home and at work.

tossed between laptop and desktop for ADT2006.

thanks,
HowardHi Howard,
I just went through the same decision. If you notice in the ADT specifications, you need a P4 to run the program properly. I did some searching in the forums (you may want to do the same) and discovered that this is true - you cannot effectively "cheat" and just get a Pentium M. Seeing as you're looking in the $1400 range, you can get a good laptop with a P4 for that price. However, I caved and picked up a sweet little Sony Vaio desktop yesterday for under $1000 that will run it no problem. Seeing as it sounds like you're more looking for a laptop, I'd go that route.

arcadia_x27
2005-10-19, 03:36 PM
We have it here on a couple of Dell laptops with a Pentium M 1.6Ghz in them as long as you have a Gig or more of RAM then it will work pretty good. Dont expect to do alot of 3d rendering and stuff on them but for normal day to day work it runs great on these machines

htlmv
2005-10-19, 04:32 PM
I'll be the first to get ADT and I have knowledge of the software from a previous employment. so i wont be doing any 3d modeling. maybe some elevation/section generations....but thats about it. for now it will be used to generate plans only to show that ADT can be quicker to create plans than using stand alone Autocad2006.

CADKitty
2005-10-19, 04:47 PM
We have it here on a couple of Dell laptops with a Pentium M 1.6Ghz in them as long as you have a Gig or more of RAM then it will work pretty good. Dont expect to do alot of 3d rendering and stuff on them but for normal day to day work it runs great on these machinesGreat, now he tells me....:roll:

Ed Jobe
2005-10-19, 05:04 PM
I had it on an Inspiron w/ 2.26 ghz Celeron. It worked ok. The slower speed was mostly due to the graphics system. On a laptop, its not too hard to get a decent processor, the trick is to get one with a good video card. Most of them are integrated video. I ordered an M70 but the IS mgr thought I didn't need that, so he ordered me a Latitude D610. Although it has 128 mb video memory, it is shared with system memory as opposed to the M70's video card designed specifically for cad use. As a result, the 610 loads ADT faster, but pan/zoom/regen is not much faster than the Celeron. However, now I have 3.5 hr battery life as opposed to 1 hr.