PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Graded Subregions

artitech
2005-10-20, 03:47 PM
We are trying to have Revit calculate the amount of cut and fill for a project and when we try to create the graded subregion it isn't following all the elevation points that we placed on the site, see attached image showing what is happening.

All the black points that you see are at the same elevation, yet Revit is connecting across the area shown in a straight line rather than following it along the contour that we are creating with the points. We are therefore not getting an accurate value for the cut and fill material.

(I'm not the one in our office that is working on this particular site so I hope I am clear enough on the problem we're experiencing).

Is this familiar to anyone?

aggockel50321
2005-10-20, 05:34 PM
When you create a graded region, the points you place create a new topo surface that is then merged with the original surface, and the volume differences between the two is your cut & fill.

Looking at your image, I think you may want to add some points along the red line, approximately at the same elevation as the original surface, & then complete the graded region.

artitech
2005-10-20, 07:08 PM
That's not what we're after though.... the straight (red) line is what is happening, when we in fact want it to follow the curved (bue) line....

Why would Revit jump across so many same elevation points instead of following the path created by these points?

I'm sure there's an explanation!?

aggockel50321
2005-10-20, 08:07 PM
I think the locus of points making up the perimeter get followed.

Never have tried it, but what if after creating the graded region you split the topo along those points and then deleted the unwanted piece? See if the cut /fill value changes when you delete the piece.