PDA

View Full Version : Construction Documents

SkiSouth
2005-10-20, 09:17 PM
Put this here to remind the new comers to Revit that the 2d drafting aspects of Revit are easy to work with too. It takes a change of mindset from the ADT days, but very easy to draw with. Perhaps a forum on construction documents would be eventually in order, or perhaps put this in Revit - In practice?

Also- forgot to mention. These are NOT Acad drawings just converted. These were generated using the detail option (callout), then the model turned off in the view.

muttlieb
2005-10-20, 09:45 PM
Perhaps a forum on construction documents would be eventually in order, or perhaps put this in Revit - In practice?
I thought there used to be a construction documents sub-forum? See THIS (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2944&highlight=construction+documents) thread. It looks like Chris created one, but it was later deleted at some point? Anyway, I think it is a good idea.

SkiSouth
2005-10-20, 09:48 PM
Yeah, was going to post these there, but - as you say - not to be found.

kpaxton
2005-10-20, 10:21 PM
Ski-

Appreciate this Post man! This is probably one of the hottest issues with the "Old Guard" in our office. "Revit can't do detailing!" they bemoan. "I best do them in AutoCad," they snicker. "If you would only learn the program," I reply.

Keep up the good work and repeat after me...
Repeating Details are your Friend!

I'd love to see a forum on this topic, by the way. It'll only help bolster the fact that these can be done (quickly and efficiently too!)

-Kyle

blads
2005-10-21, 05:25 AM
Great detailing Ski... very nice work

Scott D Davis
2005-10-21, 05:59 AM
Ski,

Permission to share your images with my AU detailing class? (With credit to you, of course...)

Thanks!

Lashers
2005-10-21, 08:03 AM
Great idea Ski! I use to enjoy (wierd) the occasional posting in the CD page, just because it was not used much, doesn't mean that it did not have a use . . . .

Thought I would throw one in - for convincing others . .if it is any good! Fdn-floor-wall (steel frame) detail. All Revit

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-10-21, 09:47 AM
Ski; Lashers, great work!!!!
Nice to see some, using Revit properly!!
My question to both of you is, how much Detail line work are in those views?
or do you build the detail component families.

I just find linework heavy, and would much rather build the detail family. Re-use!!

JTF
2005-10-21, 10:04 AM
I could never understand what the argument was all about.

What more do you need then lines and an offset option to create details with anyway.

I have always found it easier to create details in Revit when required.

And the details posted here only prove this.

And by the way awesome details guy's.

Lashers
2005-10-21, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys, that was an early one . . Zeds, to answer you query that detail was all Regions and Linework - still easy to reuse with the copy/paste, but I agree, i am starting to use Detail Components more now and they are a definite benefit.

So guys, how about those construction pages???

artitech
2005-10-21, 03:06 PM
Also- forgot to mention. These are NOT Acad drawings just converted. These were generated using the detail option, then the model turned off in the view.

Thanks for this... I actually was faced with this dilemna the other day and ended up drawing details in Autocad and importing them into Revit... would have much rather done them in Revit in the first place.

SkiSouth
2005-10-21, 03:27 PM
My question to both of you is, how much Detail line work are in those views?or do you build the detail component families.

I just find linework heavy, and would much rather build the detail family. Re-use!!

Well, these are mostly lines with filled regions. The windows are ACAD blocks from Pella, with line work. Think I actually made detail components from the Pella drawings (using them as a starting base.) The larger window details are actually drafting details (no detail callout ( I was wrong). The column detail was based on a detail callout. Attached is the detail with the model turned on. You can see a few "missed lines" in the blocking.

patricks
2005-10-21, 03:35 PM
My office has always done CD's entirely in Revit ever since we first started using it. It's the way I learned the program, also.

My only quip is that there's not a real easy way to get standard details into a project, unless you actually include all of them in your template and delete what you don't need (makes template really large, ours is over 8 MB right now).

As it is now, to copy details from one project to another, you have to have both projects open, you have to create a blank drafting view, then copy from one project and paste into the other project (both projects still open of course, paste won't work if you close the project right after copying to the clipboard).

david.kingham
2005-10-21, 03:55 PM
Our template is up to 22mb because of this, would be sweet to have a detail family

patricks
2005-10-21, 04:32 PM
Our template is up to 22mb because of this, would be sweet to have a detail family

I have thought about making standard details as just a detail component that could be plopped into any view. But that would not work very well if anything ever had to be modified.

I suppose there are probably some standard details that would never change, which could be created as a detail family (the entire noted detail view), similar to blocks in AutoCAD.

It would be nice to have the option to "explode" a detail component family.

aaronrumple
2005-10-21, 05:04 PM
May Revit never have anything even close to the explode command. That's the most anti-BIM command in the world and why ADT will never be a trustworthy BIM system.

Prodev75
2005-10-21, 06:40 PM
May Revit never have anything even close to the explode command. That's the most anti-BIM command in the world and why ADT will never be a trustworthy BIM system.

In the BIM (Revit) world, the "EXPLODE" command would involve fire, smoke and little pieces of model all over you screen.

Roger Evans
2005-10-21, 06:58 PM

I sympathise with the comment ~ It would be very useful to be able to "graphically" explode the detail ~ especially if it conveys information better ~ In these cases scale is often not critically important.

patricks
2005-10-21, 07:33 PM
When I say "explode" I was referring to having an entire standard detail as a detail component that you could place in a drafting view, and then "explode" it into the various parts like lines or filled regions so that it could be modified if necessary to fit the particular situation.

So explode, meaning to go from detail component to drafting elements.

I was NOT referring to having something like a hatch pattern separate out into tons of separate lines.... noooo hopefully that would never happen in Revit.

Prodev75
2005-10-21, 07:58 PM
When I say "explode" I was referring to having an entire standard detail as a detail component that you could place in a drafting view, and then "explode" it into the various parts like lines or filled regions so that it could be modified if necessary to fit the particular situation.

So explode, meaning to go from detail component to drafting elements.

I was NOT referring to having something like a hatch pattern separate out into tons of separate lines.... noooo hopefully that would never happen in Revit.

The group command in Revit actually does this. The only problem is you can't view the group(standard detail or prearranged modeled objects) until you load it into a project. So i guess we are stuck with the ol stick your standard detail into a template or a pseudo project for safe keeping.

Scott D Davis
2005-10-21, 08:12 PM
The Factory is well aware of some of the requests we have made regarding the re-use of details and saving details.

Lashers
2005-10-21, 08:28 PM
They could make a standard detail fetch box? Hmmm . . sort of, you have a SD icon that opens a list with all your details (only the list is kept in the template) click on a detail and it is loaded into the project.

Yep it sounds like the inset door or window button, but you would be getting to the info more directly I guess . . . needs some thinking!?? Get back to you on that.