PDA

View Full Version : Vertically Compound Walls

three_yees1748
2003-05-22, 02:43 AM
Hey All,

I have just started delving into creating vertically compound walls and I have a few questions.

While inside the Wall Assembly Editor, if I split a layer into 2 regions - one region on top of another...

1. Is there any way to change the width of the top region independant of the bottom region? I thought I read somewhere that this can NOT be done.

2. Can I adjust the height of the top region so that it is lower than the rest of the wall components? According to the Help topics I can, but I have to first unlock the outer boundary so as to "allow layer extension" I can not get this to work even if I unlock all of the components of the wall. The entire wall changes height.

What is the work around - create a sweep (void) for the portion of the region that I want eliminated?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Tyrone

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-22, 03:11 AM
Hey All,

I have just started delving into creating vertically compound walls and I have a few questions.

While inside the Wall Assembly Editor, if I split a layer into 2 regions - one region on top of another...

1. Is there any way to change the width of the top region independant of the bottom region? I thought I read somewhere that this can NOT be done.

2. Can I adjust the height of the top region so that it is lower than the rest of the wall components? According to the Help topics I can, but I have to first unlock the outer boundary so as to "allow layer extension" I can not get this to work even if I unlock all of the components of the wall. The entire wall changes height.

What is the work around - create a sweep (void) for the portion of the region that I want eliminated?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Tyrone

1. No, you can't change the width independently of each region.
2. Yes, you can, by doing just as you said, unlock the layers you want to extend, starting from the outermost layer and working inwards (or vice versa). If you have unlocked a layer(s), you will now see a new Instance parameter in the wall properties dialouge called "bottom extension distance" or "top extension distance" depedning or weather you unlocked both, or just top or bottom.
http://www.zoogdesign.com/albums/revit/wallprop.gif

hth
:)

three_yees1748
2003-05-22, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the help Chris.

I was able to get to the same point as in your attached image and I did get that "Top extension distance" to appear. I was also able to go into my wall in the model and grab the shape handle but it appears that the entire wall changes height.

I am just trying to change the height of one layer or material (Brick) without changing the height of the entire wall. Unless I am interpreting the Help file incorrectly, it appears that this can be done.

I have included the wall as an attachment.

Tyrone

brentcarlson892079
2003-05-22, 05:11 PM
I am just trying to change the height of one layer or material (Brick) without changing the height of the entire wall. Unless I am interpreting the Help file incorrectly, it appears that this can be done.
Tyrone
Tyrone, if you just want the brick to be extended above the rest of the wall...just unlock the brick.

You have the whole top of the wall unlocked.