PDA

View Full Version : Curtain Wall Mullions

ford347
2005-10-21, 04:21 PM
Am I missing something here?

I just inserted a generic or out of the box "curtain wall" into a host wall, cut geometry and embedded the new wall. I then added grids to the wall. Then I clicked on mullions, a message came up and said..."no curtain walls mullion family is loaded into the project, would you like to do so now?" But when I look under the family "tree", there are six diff. mullion types in my project now. Why can't I use them? I transfered project standards from a previous project I worked on, and it brought in a storefront type curtain wall, so I switched types to that but it has a permanent annoying grid that won't go away, so I don't want to use it. Obviously this has something to do with the type of wall it is, but I don't know how to determine what should work with what. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

ford347
2005-10-21, 04:33 PM
Update.
Tried changing curtain wall to "store-front", changed the layout in the edit menu to "none", which got rid of the annoying permanant gird, but still says that there is no mullion family added. I tried creating a new Revit default project for a the template, transfered project standards, and still nothing. I can't find and curtain wall mullion families either?

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-21, 04:48 PM
If someone purges a project you can inadvertently remove the mullions. Even though you see a list, if there are no plus signs next to the names, you have none loaded. These are system families that are allowed to used external profiles yet you can't use "Transfer Project Standards" to get them back.

In the project browser you can copy the mullion types from a default template, that has them, and paste them back into your project. Just select a mullion, right click and choose Copy to Clipboard. Also if you have mullions defined in curtain wall types "Transfer Project Standards" will bring them in, but only those that are part of the curtain wall types.

ford347
2005-10-21, 05:17 PM
Thank-you Steve.

I copied an actual wall from a project, pasted the actual wall, accepted the message telling me what was going to be replaced or used, then I had to actually select one of the mullions on the wall that I pasted to the project, right click and select create similar, then I was able to start using the mullions like normal. But I couldn't just copy the wall to the project, select mullion and go and place it, because it told me that one or more instances had become invalid, and I had to delete the instance.

Anyway, thank you for the advise and reply, that helped me get through this one.