PDA

View Full Version : POLL - If you were doing this project.....

Eric Stewart
2004-03-03, 03:37 PM
would you use curtain walls or import families for al the storefront?

See attached jpg

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1640

gregcashen
2004-03-03, 03:49 PM
That is exactly what the curtainwall tool is for.

Eric Stewart
2004-03-03, 03:54 PM
That is what I keep telling the person who did this project. He refuses to learn how to use curtain walls. He is stuck making families. I tried to adjust his families to make the doors shorter and I decided that I would just DELETE his doors and do the curtain walls instead.

If he ever has to work on this project again he will be cursing. Oh well, I am not happy with him at the moment either.

gregcashen
2004-03-03, 04:04 PM
He is misguided. Use the curtainwall tool and tell him everyone here says so. If it was an arched window or something I would model it in-place, but that IS a curtainwall in your image as far as Revit is concerned.

sbrown
2004-03-03, 04:07 PM
Its great he is making families and when I first started I too would have made all these as door and window families so I could control them better. Now that I've used curtain walls more I too would use curtain walls. The only thing that bugs me is you can't have all the mullions of the curtain wall clean up at the hor. and vertical connections. I know this is how they are really built but I don't like all the extra lines in my elevations.

Eric Stewart
2004-03-03, 04:10 PM
Actually I have created an arch-top curtain wall before. I work on so many things though, I cannot rember which project it was.

I think I created the curtain wall and then edited the elevation profile to add an arch at the top. The mullion followed the arc fine.

jbalding48677
2004-03-03, 05:42 PM
He is misguided. Use the curtainwall tool and tell him everyone here says so. If it was an arched window or something I would model it in-place, but that IS a curtainwall in your image as far as Revit is concerned.

You can create a curtain wall, select it and attach the top to the arch cut in the wall. It is pretty slick.

Try watching the attached video. Sorry avi's and mwv's not allowed. I can email it to you if you's like. They are 350k.

gregcashen
2004-03-03, 05:52 PM
Yes, but unless I am missing something (likely) you cannot have the mullions arch as well. You would end up with am arched top but vertical and horizontal mullions. If you want to have an arched window with arched mullions, you will have to model it, no?

Eric Stewart
2004-03-03, 06:05 PM
here is an arch-top curtain wall

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1642

Scott D Davis
2004-03-03, 06:13 PM
Nice! :D

Built in only a few minutes, right? Compared to probably a half hour or so to build it as an in-place family, or as a window family.

gregcashen
2004-03-03, 06:30 PM
I mean like this...

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1644

Eric Stewart
2004-03-03, 07:05 PM
I did it using curtain wall elements. Although it may be a bit of a convouted process, it can be done. The top of the assembly consists of eight individual walls. Each has had its elevation profile manipulated. The same goes for the lower peortion with the round mullion in the center of the large glass square.

I am not saying that you are wrong and I am right. I am merely making it aware that it can be done using curtain wall elements. I can see a case being made in either direction for assemblies of these types.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1645

gregcashen
2004-03-03, 07:07 PM
I like that!

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-03, 08:35 PM
That is brilliant - never would have thought about doing this with the curtain wall tool either.

Eric Stewart
2004-03-03, 08:56 PM
That is brilliant - never would have thought about doing this with the curtain wall tool either.

OK, my bosses email address is....

:D

mlgatzke
2004-03-03, 09:42 PM
Absolutely, I've attached a project my students are working on right now that's using curtain wall for just such a case (and the ribbon windows above).

christo4robin
2004-03-04, 12:16 AM
IMHO, curtain walls make sense for all but the smallest combinations of storefront. I have created families I use for picture windows of storefront, and also two side by side. Anything beyond that, or including doors, is a curtainwall.

Simon.Whitbread
2004-03-04, 01:06 AM
WIP - Heres some sliding curtain wall doors with a parameter to change the opening

beegee
2004-03-04, 01:10 AM
WIP - Heres some sliding curtain wall doors with a parameter to change the opening

Nice, but where's the rfa ?

Simon.Whitbread
2004-03-04, 01:19 AM
beegee, just for you...

Simon

beegee
2004-03-04, 02:56 AM
Thanks Simon,

I'll lock this topic so no one can get it :twisted: .... just give me a mo to find my keys......