PDA

View Full Version : Strange toposurface elevations

Clyne Curtis
2004-03-03, 05:42 PM
Hey all,

I just imported an acad file with polyline contours into my Revit project, and when I use it to create a toposurface all of the elevations are exactly doubled! I have checked and re-checked the original file, and all the elevations are good, so any idea what gives? The original contours are at actual elevation rather than relative elevation.

thanks

Clyne

gregcashen
2004-03-03, 05:49 PM
So just relocate it down? Or are you saying that all of the elevations have been scaled by 2x?

aggockel50321
2004-03-03, 05:55 PM
Check the scale of the imported .dwg.

I had a similar problem where the xy cooridinates came in ok, but the z coordinate was off. I found out the .dwg was generated by a consultant with non-autocad software that wrote out .dwg files.

Once imported in Revit, cut a section through the .dwg, & see if the contours are at the correct elevations.

Clyne Curtis
2004-03-03, 06:37 PM
All of the elevations have been scaled by 2x. I generated the contours myself using Civil Series 2004, and they are fine in AutoCAD. I have adjusted the elevations of my elevation views to the actual elevation i.e. Main Level 6890', Upper Level 6901', etc, but the topsurface is sitting up at 2x these values. If I edit the surface, all the points on the surface fall in a 13,xxx elevation range. I'm sure I am just not holding my mouth right or something like that...

Clyne

aggockel50321
2004-03-03, 08:21 PM
It's got to be a drawing scale problem. If you have an object of a known size in the imported drawing, check the horizontal scale of the drawing & see if it's correct.

I think the problem I had, was that when I changed the drawing scale, using the new scale factor in the drawing properties box, the contour drawing only scaled in the x & y direction. The imported drawing was off by a factor of 12, so the resultant topo looked like the Rocky Mountains, & we're in Maine...

Good luck.

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-03, 08:38 PM
Clyne, on what level were you when you inserted the terrain data? I always tell my clients to create a level called "sea level" which has an absolute elevation of 0'.

Terrain data somes in at the elevation of the current level. So if your site plan is at 300' and you insert the DWG survey model, your data will come in 300' too high.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe this is your problem.