PDA

View Full Version : REVIT is such a klutz ...!!!!

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-04, 01:05 AM
Revit can be such a klutz sometimes. (well most of the time for me right now LOL).... for a large 3 building (7-10 stories) project, even just a simple updating the view/ manipulating the Elevational view range can take upto 5 minutes for the screen just to update !!! (I spent over an hour just to setup 4 simple elevational view for ONE building)

Anyone know the reason for Revit to become so SLUUUGGGGSSSH?!

BTW, I am also using workset, with most of non-view editable view turn off... wonder why it still takes so long....

beegee
2004-03-04, 01:13 AM
Have you read This Topic ? (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2696&highlight=file+size)

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-04, 01:26 AM
Yeh, I think I have, but seems like it doesn't really solve my problem.
Still views are updated REALLY slowly. I am still stucked at trying to get the views setup properly, and the deadline is TODAY at 5 PM......

Steve Jager
2004-03-04, 02:18 AM
I am working on a 26 story hotel full curtain wall all floors drawn.
No worksets on and all layers with a gazillion ref lines all over the place and my refreshes are within 10 seconds.

I do full renderings of the ext. at presentation mode 300 dpi daylights in under ten minutes.

I can't complain!

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-03-04, 03:35 AM
Richard,
Give us some hardware details and other info.
Do you have other apps open while working in Revit? I've found ANY music player saps power from Revit.
Are you working in the central file and do you have the central file stored on a network server (ie are you saving/retrieving information over a network?)?
How much RAM?
Video card specs.
Does the manufacturers label on your computer say TANDY? :wink:
I'm with Steve on this. I've been working full time for about a year on a 1.2 Gig laptop and have no real complaints about performance.

Kirky
2004-03-04, 08:36 AM
maybe a standard test between users as a bench mark might be useful? e.g. rendering a scene of the library or the making use of a standard test 'village' of the tutorial buildings that are supplied with Revit CD?

beegee
2004-03-04, 09:16 AM
Mr. Zoog wrote....

FYI,

Among other things, I have been in contact with revit developers about creating a revit benchmark system to evaluate hardware. It's basically a journal file that will run revit through it's paces, and then spit out times that can be added to an excel spreadsheet database.

As soon as I get a chance a I'll see if i can push it along a little more.

Z.

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-08, 01:09 AM
Just to let you guys know, I found a way around it.

1st, get a sheet of yellow tracing paper (butter paper)
2nd, Put it over your screen, tape it to the edge of monitor...
3rd, start tracing the outline of the level you intend to crop.
4th, turn off ALL the graphics there is (YEP, EVERYTHING)
5th, move the cropping edge to your heart's content, IT WILL NEVER SLOW DOWN NOW. (because there is NOTHING TO DISPLAY)

viola! congraz, you just made Revit perform 1000x faster!! :D

BTW, ever since I done this, I have created a storm of controversy in the office. Just to remind you all that been creative can be view are heresy in some environment ;) LOL...

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-08, 05:50 AM
Something definitely sounds amiss. You oughta send that one in to support for analysis.

In the meantime, there may be an object or series of objects that are causing the grief; try turning off all categories except walls and take it from there. Add categories til you find the one that is 'bringing the house down', as it were. Sometimes a bad family object (or unnecessarily complex) can be to blame.

mtogni
2004-03-08, 09:13 AM
Ok, Revit is not a missile and this is true, but I'm working quite good with it. Refreshing is not so slowly.
I notice instead when rendering a very slow down of the system. It needs about 3-4 hours to get an image of 450dpi (6-8Mb) until 10 hours to get an image of 1200dpi (15Mb).
My system is a 2Cpu 2800 AMD Athlon Mp w/ 1Gb Ram 2100.