PDA

View Full Version : ADT Napkin Sketch

Davied2
2005-10-28, 01:27 PM
Hi There

One of my colleagues in the office is using ADT and has produced a napkin sketch from a perspective view.
Basically what this is is it takes a perspective view and changes all the lovely straight lines and contorts them slightly so that the view looks hand drawn also if any lines are intersecting it extrudes them ever so slightly to cross over to yet again give that hand drawn look.

The office is very impressed with this and I have been asked if Revit can do anything similar as we are using both pieces of software at the moment and I am heavily pushing Revit.

Any comments please.

Dave

Roger Evans
2005-10-28, 01:34 PM
Hi David

Personally I would love to have that ability within Revit
( it has also been raised / requested many times in the past)

Unfortunately it looks like ADT will take the honours on this

You could try exporting & tweaking in another paint program & shouldn't take too long.

Rols
2005-10-28, 01:43 PM
Many people have had success exporting Revit files to DWG and then importing the DWG into Sketchup, which has very nice options for sketches.
Another possibility is Squiggle, which trasforms plot files into hand-sketched looking drawings.
Both are fairly inexpensive.

Phil Read
2005-10-28, 02:21 PM
Dave -

If you're using Revit and SketchUp you have some very elegant options:

1. Export the model. Only export what you need (turn off unnecessary geometry/worksets) and set the view to the appropriate level of detail (course/medium/fine). The export process is RVT>DWG>SKP. The advantage is that you can choose your views, etc in SketchUp. Note: you can export a view with a Section Box applied if you only need part of the model.

2. If you don't want the model - just export a flat 3D View. Place the desired views on a sheet and export the sheet/views. This exports 2D data which can also be manipulated in SketchUp (line weights, etc).

In either case, images can be exported from SketchUp and imported to Revit.

Examples attached.

All the best,

Phil

SkiSouth
2005-10-28, 02:42 PM
ya know, you just gotta love that sketchup's "sketching" ability...

By the way Phil, the center wall section, is this a modified sketchup or Revit, if Revit, I need a clue on making that "layered" look - nice.

Phil Read
2005-10-28, 02:55 PM
ya know, you just gotta love that sketchup's "sketching" ability...

By the way Phil, the center wall section, is this a modified sketchup or Revit, if Revit, I need a clue on making that "layered" look - nice.Layered in SketchUp. When importing, uncheck "merge coplanar faces" in the options tab. Then you'll get the wall regions (provided you exported a med or fine level of detail).

Then you can push/pull the regions.

-Phil