PDA

View Full Version : Line Work Tool, HUH?!?!

dsw98
2005-10-28, 03:24 PM
Is it just me or is the Line work tool very confusing and frustrating. I'll change a line representing a Wall, zoom in or out and the line changes back and forth, what's up with that? Then I won't know whether the line actually changed unless I do a print preview.

TGIF Baby!!!

sbrown
2005-10-28, 03:25 PM
I've never seen the behavior you are describing.

dsw98
2005-10-28, 03:36 PM
I've never seen the behavior you are describing.

Well I'm good at causing and/or behaving in ways no one has ever seen :D.

Is there no way for this tool to pick the most forward object, change that line and have it represent everything on that plane as a dotted line. My problem is. I need my footings to appear dotted in an elevation view. But when I go to dot in the upper line of the footing, I'm also picking the basement floor line, any wall that happens to be there and I can't get all the lines to change. Or is there a setting the will just automaticly change my continious footings to appear dotted?

gbrowne
2005-10-28, 03:42 PM
You could use the "hide/isolate" sunglasses, & isolate foundation catagory.

Les Therrien
2005-10-28, 03:46 PM
If I understand what you're saying, then I have the same pain in the arse when creating hidden lines on footings and foundation wall in elevation views.
I think it's because there's a million layers behind the line that you use the line work tool with.

kpaxton
2005-10-28, 03:51 PM
The best way to control a system or element or something on a view basis is by Object Style control. Specifically, by using View Templates. These are powerful, and if set up properly, can save A LOT of time. There have been a number of Threads relating to this - I'd do a search for Footings, footers, foundations, etc. I'll try and find them - but I'll have to do it later.

Kyle

dsw98
2005-10-28, 03:57 PM
If I understand what you're saying, then I have the same pain in the arse when creating hidden lines on footings and foundation wall in elevation views.
I think it's because there's a million layers behind the line that you use the line work tool with.

Yes, exactly.

cosmickingpin
2005-10-28, 05:57 PM
I would play with my graphics settings. Line changing back and forth, what do you mean?

Use the <tab> key to select the correct line, you will see a descrition in the lower right corner, just tab till you get the right object. If the whole objects selects, use the tab key. In Revit the TAB key will be the most important key you use.

feel free to use the V/G tool to set all project lines to a dotted line and then pick the ones you want solid if that's easier.
Lots of ways to do this, but no Revit does not contain artifical intelligence, and you do have to use the LW tool as a part of regular drafting.

Is it just me or is the Line work tool very confusing and frustrating. I'll change a line representing a Wall, zoom in or out and the line changes back and forth, what's up with that? Then I won't know whether the line actually changed unless I do a print preview.

TGIF Baby!!!