PDA

View Full Version : Battered Wall tool

The Monk
2005-10-28, 04:29 PM
Autodesk should include a battered wall tool that will allow you to batter a wall to slope in from bottom to top and slope out from bottom to top. The should be usable for both straight and curved wall types. Archicad has this kind of tool and Revit should too.

The other thing is ... how do you create a battered wall?

sfaust
2005-10-28, 05:19 PM
Well, now with 8.1 you can do it by picking the face of a mass if you have one. Otherwise create an in-place family sweep. The advantage of doing it with massing is that you can have a compound wall structure.

The Monk
2005-10-28, 06:50 PM
Thank you Steve,

If I understand, I would create a mass that would reperesent my wall and use the sweep process to define the wall slope and shape. Can two walls that are meeting at a 90 deg corner and battering at the sametime join together? Would the mass material properties be the finish material and a second mass ( or the wall tool) be used to represent the wall?

Again, thank you,

John

sfaust
2005-10-28, 08:36 PM
Actually, what I was describing was two different options. The first is by picking the face of a mass. You would create a mass object that was the outside of your building or room, or whatever your battered walls are bounding. Then just use the wall tool, pick your wall type, and instead of using the pencil or the pick lines, use the wall by face option (see image). This will let you pick the faces of your mass and turn them into a wall.

The other option I was talking about was to create an in place family. This is done through the modeling tab with the "create" button. Then you would just create a sweep with solids much like you would in any standard solid modeling program. This allows a little more freedom in that you can make the wall taper as it slopes, curve one side, or make basically any shape, but you can not have a compound wall so you would have to draw in the layers in any sections or anything that cuts it.

The Monk
2005-11-27, 07:17 PM
Steve, The image here is the condition I need to create a battered or sloped walls at the mass with the red lines. How do you do that and miter the corners as well? I made this mass by way of the create in place feature and mass extrusion.

Thanks for your help,

John

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16795&stc=1
http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16796&stc=1

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16797&stc=1

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-11-27, 10:48 PM
John,

Try creating the mass as a blend instead of an extrusion. Be sure you are usin the mass tools and not just creating an in-place family that is in the wall category. Then, just a sSteve suggested, simply select the wall type you want to use as your battered wall and pick the face of the mass. Be sure to keep an eye on the walls location line in the options bar as well

The Monk
2005-11-28, 01:04 AM
Thanks,

Is there an exercise in the tutorials that show how to do blends? Would I draw the vertical part of the wall and add the blend to it? Is there a place to go to see the steps involved? I am a fairly new user.

Thanks,

John

blads
2005-11-28, 01:17 AM
Thanks,

Is there an exercise in the tutorials that show how to do blends? Would I draw the vertical part of the wall and add the blend to it? Is there a place to go to see the steps involved? I am a fairly new user.

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

yes there is a nice tutorial on "adding massing elements to a Building Model". You can access your tutorials via Help>Tutorials. To find that particular one, try searching for "blends" and it'll appear. Otherwise under "using advanced features" in the Contents, there is a whole section on massing.

HTH