PDA

View Full Version : How do you control lineweights of levels below?

dgraue
2005-10-28, 06:41 PM
I am showing a second floor plan of a loft space. I want the view depth to show the level below, but the objects on the floor below should be halftone. How do I control the lineweight of objects below? The linework tool will highlight and change some objects completely which can be a problem if say part of a sofa is under the current level's floor plane and should not show up. Any thoughts?

cosmickingpin
2005-10-28, 06:44 PM
Use an underlay perhaps? ***first set your cut plane so that you can't see the lower floor, then under view properites select the loower floor level as an underlay. That might do it for you***

I am showing a second floor plan of a loft space. I want the view depth to show the level below, but the objects on the floor below should be halftone. How do I control the lineweight of objects below? The linework tool will highlight and change some objects completely which can be a problem if say part of a sofa is under the current level's floor plane and should not show up. Any thoughts?

dgraue
2005-10-28, 06:58 PM
Underlay is behaving strangely. It shows many (but not all) walls, partial door swings and objects like furniture and they show up regardless of whether there is a floor present at the current level.

Tom Dorner
2005-10-28, 07:10 PM
How about duplicating your floor view you want to show halftone, rename it x floor halftone, go to visability graphics, change all categories to halftone, place floor plan on a sheet that is main, place halftone view on top of it (it will snap into place), turn off any title on the halftone plan.

Tom

dgraue
2005-10-31, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It's seems to be somewhat of a workaround to be able to control lineweights of objects visible on floors below. I'd like factory to add this one to the wish list please.

sbrown
2005-10-31, 07:50 PM
The view range is how you do it. Anything you want defined by its "stock" object style make sure it falls within the primary View range. Anything you want the "Beyond" linestyle needs to be in the bottom category "view depth" Then set the beyond linestyle to grey and thin or whatever you want.

zanzibarbob7
2005-10-31, 08:17 PM
Scott,

Great tip. Just yesterday I was working a roof plan and wanted to show the underlay of walls differently. Visiblity Graphics worked fine since I did not have any of the other components, such as walls, windows etc. as part of the roof. Whcih would not be the case if it were 1st Floor, 2nd Floor. But my method was short sighted. It only dealt with the particular scenario.

Yours is the better solution, and, as far as I can tell, the correct way to solve it. The only drawback, if it is one, is that it sets the Beyond for the entire project. If I just wanted to accomplish this in a single view I suppose that I could go back and do this in Visibility Graphics and set each underlay component. I guess it's time for a command decision but it's nice to see the different ways to approach this.

sbrown
2005-10-31, 08:24 PM
Actually, you can override it in each view, just click VV, select the lines>beyond> and override it as desired.

zanzibarbob7
2005-10-31, 08:38 PM
Scott,

That's what you get for thinking ahead. Each day I get these great tips from you guys. Saves me a lot of time and effort and makes my day more productive.

Thanks Scott

dgraue
2005-10-31, 09:23 PM
Thanks Scott! My "beyond" line color was switched from gray to black. I love it when it turns out to be a silly oversight!

zanzibarbob7
2005-10-31, 09:25 PM
Scott,

I must be missing something here. I've got my model set up correctly with two floors and the Second has no underlay but the view range is adjusted to show the first floor in the view depth.

When I go to Visibility Graphics>Line>Beyond, then override it's style I get no change in the elements on the first floor. Where is my mistake?

sbrown
2005-11-01, 03:38 AM
show me your view range settings. You must have, just the main floor in the top area of the view range box and anything you want grey, to be in the view depth portion. It the top and the bot include the same range the top will win.

dgraue
2005-11-01, 06:56 PM
How about lineweights in a perspective or Axon view? Is there any way to control lines beyond without using the Linework tool? Using the Linework tool on objects like windows which are partly obstructed from view does not work well. The entire line of the object is brought out in front of the object it is beyond (see attached pdf). The Linework tool should really only change the portion of line which is visible. Currently, I am only able to soften the objects beyond through photoshop to get the results I need.

dgraue
2005-11-01, 06:57 PM
Oops, here is the PDF image I was refering to.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-01, 08:11 PM
I can't seem to capture a screen with the dialog boxes open. Tried the advice on posting screen shots but could not get it to work.

My Settings are: No underlay>View Range>Primary = Second Floor, View Range>View depth=1st Floor.

Going to VG I override the Beyond line settings but nothing happens. It seems to me that the 1st Floor is in the Beyond catagory since my Primary is 2nd Floor. All is conducted in the View Range as there is no underlay.

Advice on this matter and screen shots, with dialog boxes open, appreciated.

sbrown
2005-11-01, 08:24 PM
CTRL + Print Screen. Open an image editor and Ctrl + V. Save as Jpg and upload.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-02, 05:55 PM
Scott,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Here is the screen shot showing my View Range setting. No underlay is also selected.

Edit: Merged

sbrown
2005-11-03, 02:32 AM
ok, that looks good, now go to line styles, and check what your beyond linestyle is set to, try red just to check if its working.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-03, 10:46 AM
Scott,

That's exactly what I did several times and still get no change. I'm baffled!!

sbrown
2005-11-03, 02:04 PM
can you get your file small enought to post.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-03, 06:52 PM
Here it is, unused purged.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-04, 07:03 PM
Scott,

Have had a chance to look at this file?

aaronrumple
2005-11-04, 07:27 PM
The <Beyond> linestyle is set to factory defaults of 1. The file is working just the way one would expect. I've made a couple of changes in the attached to show you how to make adjustments.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-04, 08:06 PM
Arron,

Thanks for the reply. I opened your file>VG>line>beyond>changed to color back to black>OK>OK. Nothing changes, Still red. What am I missing???? All this is exactly how I tried it many times before.

aaronrumple
2005-11-04, 10:50 PM
Visibility Graphics is a single view override. Object styles are project wide. I went to Settings->Line Styles.. to make the change. I'm not sure if has always been this way, where overrides don't apply to objects outside the primary range. Factory?

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-04, 10:58 PM
This is the way I have been able to get it to work ( Settings>line styles...) but Scott Brown was saying I could override a single view his way. So far I have not been able to do it for a single view through VG. It would be nice if I could.

Any clarifictaion from the factory would be appreciated. Or anyone else who knows for sure.

Alvin_Alejandro
2005-11-05, 12:34 PM
as scott said..............attached the file

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-05, 04:06 PM
Actually, what I think Scott said was that you could change the style per view. In your file, in VG, the beyond line style is red but in Settings>line style it is black and dashed. Exactly the way it shows on the plan. It seems that the change in lines in VG will not efffect the view.

Like Aaron said, maybe that was the way it was in an older version of Revit. It would be nice to change, per view.

sbrown
2005-11-05, 04:06 PM
i guess i was wrong. now i'm thinking you can't override any of the <system lines>? definately needs to be addressed by the factory. you can use the line work tool on them.

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-05, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the clarification Scott. Now I won't pull my hair out trying to get it to work.