PDA

View Full Version : How can I dimension to non parallel objects?

Alek Sutulov
2004-03-04, 04:45 PM
How do you guys dimension distance from building face to a property line which is not paralel to that face.
Thanks, Alek

sbrown
2004-03-04, 04:52 PM
I usually put a small detail line where I want to dim. to that is parallel to my building.

irwin
2004-03-04, 08:13 PM
How do you guys dimension distance from building face to a property line which is not paralel to that face.
Thanks, Alek
In the dimension command, pick the face first, then the vertex of the property line. Or, Tab to pick the vertex first, and then pick the face.

gregcashen
2004-03-04, 10:24 PM
This has been a pet peeve of mine for some time. Irwin's workaround works for some applications, but if you need to dimensiona lateral clearance from a side of a building to the nearest property line, it does not and you have to use the detail line trick.

Chad Smith
2004-03-05, 12:22 AM
I think we need to have something like a 'non-parallel' check box option on the Options Bar. That way we can snap to intersections, nearest points and so on.

cphubb
2004-03-05, 12:43 AM
I personally use a reference plane so I can easily find those dimensions. Handrails and property lines are the most often used.

However my pet peeve comes with dimensioning imported Autocad objects none of which are parallel. I end up going back and forth to Autocad drawings all the time just getting lines parallel. I know this is the result of poor drafting but there are many Autocad users who think thats close enough.

Cathy Hadley
2004-03-05, 05:49 PM
I think this is a huge item. We really need a way to dimension between here and there ... snap points to snap points .. i.e. dim aligned ...

Also would like to be able to pick an object and dimension its length, one step, pick, place ..

how do you locate where the center of your arc is? the list is quite long of where we need this.

But probably old news ... and the detail line solution does work, just painful and asking for errors.