PDA

View Full Version : Linux Os

afshin_samimi
2005-10-30, 11:22 PM
Hi smart people:
Big question, I am running Windows XP x64 for a week......not a good experience.......... nothing in there as far as driver and .........and most important ,nothing that let me know how to manage my new server Intel Xeon base board.........anyways ....I would like to immigrate to Linux...........Is auto desk products work with Linux ?..applications such as Revit or Autocad/Autodesk?!!!!!
no where in auto desk site some thing could help..........?

dhurtubise
2005-10-30, 11:23 PM
As far as installing the software on a PC running Linux, forget it. Only MS allowed.

eldad
2005-10-31, 04:27 AM
hey there,

I'm running Linux at home as my main OS, just can't deal with Mr. Gates and the host of viruses attached to his shiny XP box... (sorry had to be a Bit%^&) :)
you can run some windows apps on Linux using either the free wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) or the not free but much better Crossover Office from codeweaver.com
the problem with installing Revit is the API, CXOffice new release is supposed to address that, this week I will test it out and report back, I'm an advocate for Revit on CX Office and a beta tester for the project, it would be amazing to be able to run Revit on Linux, and though Autodesk will not do it, the fight is not over :)
so check the site, become an advocate and good luck!

dhurtubise
2005-10-31, 10:47 AM
Could you run some benchmark? i would be interested to see the performance degradation on a linux worstation

BillyGrey
2005-10-31, 03:48 PM
Eldad,

Let us know man!!!
Good or bad, it's all relative.

Thanks

eldad
2005-10-31, 10:29 PM
Could you run some benchmark? i would be interested to see the performance degradation on a linux worstation
that's an assumption I guess? :)
some cases windows applications are running the same if not better! hard to believe but it's true, a lot to do with memory management I guess...
I shall run some tests by the weekend and will let you guys know.

iru69
2005-11-01, 06:42 AM
Benchmarks? In our dreams. If anyone can get it to install, it would be a major achievement, let alone actually work, let alone actually work without crashing.

I shall run some tests by the weekend and will let you guys know.
I tried using wine .9 and cxoffice 5 with no luck. Complains about no IE even though it's installed. Can you figure a way around that?

eldad
2005-11-01, 06:45 AM
is the IE error the only one you get? did you install IE 6?
can't wait to play on the weekend... :)

iru69
2005-11-01, 02:43 PM
is the IE error the only one you get? did you install IE 6?
can't wait to play on the weekend... :)
I installed IE6 using cx (it works). I then tried installing Revit, and it does start the installation, but then stops and exits at "no IE6 found on this computer". You'll have to give it a try and see what you can come up with.

k.armstrong
2006-01-23, 06:13 AM
ANY PROGRESS????

eldad
2006-01-23, 06:17 AM
mate,

I had to put it on the back burner for now.
CXoffice stopping development of 5 and 5.1 in order to get 6 out, so until we get proper API support we are stuck.
rest asure though, I will do all I can to get Revit on Linux :)

iru69
2006-01-23, 08:02 AM
ANY PROGRESS????
I'm afraid progress is probably going to be measured in years, not a few months.

In my opinion, I see it as extremely unlikely that Revit will ever run efficiently in Linux unless Autodesk creates a release specifically for it.

I've played around with trying to install it just for kicks, but Wine can't even run the latest versions of the most basic apps. Forget about a very complicated app like Revit, Wine would choke on any recent version of AutoCAD. By the time they work most of the kinks out of an app, they're at least a version or two behind. There aren't enough Wine developers to work on getting the latest iTunes to work with linux let alone a niche product like Revit. With an app like Revit that's on a fast development cycle, forget about it.

Just my 2 cents - but I hope I'm wrong.

Elmo
2006-01-23, 02:39 PM
If you want applications for windows 64 have a look at this website to get some free applications that can be really handy.

Click Here (http://www.planetamd64.com/)