PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Decals

TeamRPM
2004-03-04, 07:19 PM
How do you display a decal in the elevations without showing just the x inside the box. Is it a setting that shows the graphic in detail similar to to the walls fine, Medium, and Course. Thanks in advance for any feedback

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-03-04, 07:32 PM
Decals will only show up when a render is done. They don't display in regular views.

TeamRPM
2004-03-04, 07:37 PM
So how do you know if the image overlaps a curved boundary without rendering (square boundaries are easy. In 3d-studio you can see the image and tell where it places on an object (UVW mapping or map scaler). can Revit simulate this and also show up in black and white on the CD's

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-03-04, 09:27 PM
Not sure what you mean. The box displayed represents the actual size of the image. If the boundary is outside the limits of the wall or face (and I don't think Revit will allow you to stretch it that far) then it will show that way as the box. The image will wrap to the face on which it is placed.

(Go Canucks, Go!)

TeamRPM
2004-03-04, 10:28 PM
for example a 5 sided star billboard cutout shape how do you make the family billboard shape to place the decal on that is just a photo with a mask? are all the stars extensions going to line-up on the billboard. You have to modify the inplace family till it works, which is pretty tedious. But for my real proble I have an exterior elevation of a lightbox on a C-store. I want to show the name of the store on the sign and see it both in rendering and in Cd format

PeterJ
2004-03-05, 06:07 AM
You could look at model text, which is useful in this sort of application, or make the logo as an in place family from a series of thin extrusions. These solutions will work quite well if the logo comprises discrete colours, if it is photographic or comprises colour gradients then you may wish to look at bringing it in as a jpg and placing it in the relevant views to work as for your documentation. I suggest if you do this you would want to posterize and then grey scale the image in photoshop, also test how it prints before spending too much time on this and finally, you would still need a decal for the rendering...