PDA

View Full Version : Linking multiple central files vs. worksets

blaine662u
2005-11-03, 08:17 PM
We have a large project with multiple buildings connected by multi-level walkways. Can the geometry in a central file be joined or somehow work with geometry from other central files linked in? In other words, the buildings would be seperate central files and teh walks in between would be a central file all linked together.

OR

do we suck up the file size and have one central model with worksets for each of the buildings?

My concern is working with the geometry that is connecting 2 other central files in scenario 1 and file size in scenario 2. What is the greater evil??

sbrown
2005-11-03, 09:30 PM
File size is not an issue, just open the worksets you need to work on. Revit now only saves changes if i understand right. You'll find a lot of headaches working with linked files. Your file will take longer to open because you HAVE to open all the linked files(at least i can't figure out how to open a file with linked models and it not reload every linked file. Second, you will get visibility issues, you won't be able to tag, use room tags.

Worksets is the "revit" way to handle this.

Danny Polkinhorn
2005-11-04, 12:27 AM
Scott, put the linked files in their own worksets.

Blaine, I agree with Scott on this one.

blaine662u
2005-11-04, 12:29 AM
That was my thought. Thanks for the confirmation guys.