PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this roof?

janunson
2005-11-04, 07:28 PM
I know, i know... one of those roof questions again.. but look at this one.. Maybe it's a mental block, but I'm not sure how to do this one in Revit.. even w/ in-place families, w/out doing lots of segments and/or lots of math -

In the attached screen-shot you can see the open section of the building, the roof I'm adding goes from Grid-line 'R' to Grid-line 'D'. Grid-line R is at a constant height, and D is at a lower constant height, so structurally each beam will have a different slope. Is there a clever way to make this roof in Revit so i don't have to do all the calcs on every darn beam?

Thanks for any advice!

sfaust
2005-11-04, 08:05 PM
How about making a mass with that face and then doing a roof by face?

You would make the mass with a blend. See attached "quick and dirty" example. Does this work for you?

janunson
2005-11-07, 01:42 PM
Not a bad suggestion, but trying to figure out how to do that form, even as a blend.
Looks to me like i'll be attempting the form in 3D Studio and bringing it in. Oh for good modeling tools in Revit! (and this isn't even a super-funky modernist form.. just practical need for an ordinary roof!)

sfaust
2005-11-07, 03:38 PM
That's an easy form in a blend, you already have the correct lines in plan. Use mine and just make the curve match your curve and set the straight lines where yours are and you should be there...

janunson
2005-11-07, 05:57 PM
Ok... now i get it. Thanks... what a brain outage... i was trying to do it sideways.. i guess.
Anyway.
I'd through it would be easier in Max because i could extrude the thing up, then just grab 1 vertex and move it down a few inches... easy to model yes, but the imported mass wouldn't let me apply any kind of wall, roof, or curtain system to it.
Finally, i looked at your file and copied that... worked great.. just another instance of having to erase mindset from other cad programs and learn to 'Revit-Think' through the problem.

Thanks for your help, sfaust.

Scott D Davis
2005-11-07, 06:40 PM
In order to use an imported Mass, you must make a new mass family, import the solid into that new family, save it, and load it into your project. Then Place the Mass, then apply the building elements to it.

janunson
2005-11-07, 07:04 PM
In order to use an imported Mass, you must make a new mass family, import the solid into that new family, save it, and load it into your project. Then Place the Mass, then apply the building elements to it.
That's exactly what i did. It would allow me to select 2 faces, but not the compound sloped face, or the curved face.

Wes Macaulay
2005-11-07, 07:10 PM
Briliant work Steve - nice solution!

Scott D Davis
2005-11-07, 07:35 PM
That's exactly what i did. It would allow me to select 2 faces, but not the compound sloped face, or the curved face.hmmm....even in Revit 8,.1???? Would you please post your Mass family?

sfaust
2005-11-07, 07:52 PM
Briliant work Steve - nice solution!
wow, thanks. That's probably the highest praise I've gotten for the least work! Glad I could help :)

janunson
2005-11-07, 07:56 PM
hmmm....even in Revit 8,.1???? Would you please post your Mass family?
Yup. in 8.1 - here's my family.

Wes Macaulay
2005-11-07, 08:44 PM
wow, thanks. That's probably the highest praise I've gotten for the least work! Glad I could help :)Revit's modeling abilities are for me its Achilles Heel. That's not to say that you can't model almost many different geometries, but on Janunson's quandary the solution is not as simple as extrude > grab the vertex at one end of the curve > lower it > done.

I have a couple of projects I'm supporting as present whose geometries are not being handled 100% by Revit, and not even Phil Read can get us out of the glue :mrgreen: