PDA

View Full Version : Installing Revit 6.0 from the MSI file

rodneyf
2004-03-08, 03:12 PM
Has anyone successfully installed Revit 6.0 from the MSI file that is included on the CD? If you did could you please let me in on the secret that would be great. Our IT guy has tried to install Revit from the above mentioned file and as of the writing of the subject has yet to get it to work. I will try to find out what if any error messages appear. Just to let you know we have multiple seats on stand alone licensing.

Thanks,

bclarch
2004-03-09, 02:51 PM
I installed from the CD but I'm afraid that I can't offer much help. All I did was click on the "OK" or "next" buttons and everything went smoothly so I don't have any great insights to offer. Sorry, but at least you know that it can be done.

rodneyf
2004-03-09, 06:09 PM
Robert,
Thanks first of all, and I also installed it on my computer here at work that way. Our It guy askd me if there was an MSI file on the disk so he could push the install to each machine from a central location. So I guess nobody else knows about this?

Thanks,

LRaiz
2004-03-09, 10:21 PM
Currently Revit does not support pushing installation from a central location even though it does have an MSI file.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-09, 10:52 PM
LR,

Any future plans to include a push installation MSI?

Steve_Stafford
2004-03-09, 11:48 PM
FWIW,

We are successfully "pushing" installations with Symantec's (was PowerQuest) V2i Builder. But it is really pulling...an agent resides on each PC and polls for jobs.

The application watches an installation on a single PC, creates a database inventory of everything that is done and simply reproduces the actions on a new PC.

Even the hassle of the help file download is eliminated after the profiling as the DB stores it as well. Subsequent installs just use the local copy instead. A separate user config job applies the office "ini and ks" files.

A Revit install takes about 2 minutes this way, and can happen offline or when the PC boots up in the morning. It's been handy for new builds...rolled out within a day or two of release.

We've had some dissappointment with other aspects of Builder but for this it's been great.

LRaiz
2004-03-10, 01:34 AM
LR,

Any future plans to include a push installation MSI?

This enhancement request is noted.

Leonid

rodneyf
2004-03-10, 12:15 PM
Thanks Leonid and to everyone else who helped. I will let my IT guy know about this.

Thanks,