PDA

View Full Version : Skylight To Follow Roof Pitch

gordolake
2005-11-08, 06:48 AM
Hi, need to place a skylight roof on top of 2 degree skillion roof. And need it to follow this pitch.

See thumbnail

Tried various ref planes and work planes and rotations but I'm having difficulties.

I'm sure there must be a way because there is a will.

TIA

Steve

Merlin
2005-11-08, 07:13 AM
When you say "follow this pitch" do you mean the pitch of 2 degrees or of that plane running along the line of the fall?

The standard skylights supplied can be positioned on any roof surface. If you have a surface that is not in the same plane as the roof then you should create another roof in that plane. If the problem is that the skylight takes up all of that plane just draw the new roof to the same dimensions as the skylight

Am I on the same wave-length as the problem?

John Mc

SCShell
2005-11-08, 10:55 AM
Hey there,

If I could make a suggestion? Have you considered building the skylight roof "level" and not sploping it the way you are trying to? If so, you might can place curb walls all around with the high side of the roof being 8" min. from the top of the curb wall, which has a level top plate to then build the skylight and roof structure. You can attach the curb wall bottoms to the sloping main roof easily. Once you've got that, the skylight roof will be a snap because you are building it "level". That is actually an easier way to build it. (All of your vertical wall/glass sections will be "vertical" in that case.)

Just a suggestion. Please don't take it the wrong way.
Steve

ejburrell67787
2005-11-08, 02:31 PM
You could model a mass which if you do as an extrusion you could draw the outline of it in the elevation that shows the pitch of the roof. Then make curtainwalls / sloping glazing using the surfaces of the mass.

Having modelled one skylight this way you could probably group the elements and array the whole skylight as many times as you need along the slope of the roof.

Hope this helps.

Elrond

EDIT - just had another look at your attached image. Not clear which way your main roof is pitching. In any case you can slice the bottom of the mass off in the plane of the roof pitch.

gordolake
2005-11-09, 12:51 AM
Thanks everyone for their prompt replies.

mail.68744When you say "follow this pitch" do you mean the pitch of 2 degrees or of that plane running along the line of the fall?

Sorry that the image didn't convey the problem. Imagine poping a section of the skillion roof up at 15 degrees to form the sky light i.e. hinged on the 2 degree pitch. So yes tilting the 15 degree roof light roof at 2degrees.

SCShellHey there,

If I could make a suggestion? Have you considered building the skylight roof "level" and not sploping it the way you are trying to? If so, you might can place curb walls all around with the high side of the roof being 8" min. from the top of the curb wall, which has a level top plate to then build the skylight and roof structure. You can attach the curb wall bottoms to the sloping main roof easily. Once you've got that, the skylight roof will be a snap because you are building it "level". That is actually an easier way to build it. (All of your vertical wall/glass sections will be "vertical" in that case.)
Thanks for the suggestion. I have done a 'level' roof with walls as described but was trying some other options as well.

ElrondYou could model a mass which if you do as an extrusion you could draw the outline of it in the elevation that shows the pitch of the roof. Then make curtainwalls / sloping glazing using the surfaces of the mass.

Hope this helps.
Yes had thought of massing but have not had a lot of experience with them, yet. Will investigate.

This exercise is really a double inclined plane, 15 degree roof pitch (3m long) running Parrnell (18m run ) to the main 2 degree roof.

Thanks again all.

gordolake
2005-11-09, 03:40 AM
Final option done by mass. Simple!

Regards
Steve

ejburrell67787
2005-11-09, 09:17 AM
Glad you got there!

Merlin
2005-11-09, 10:19 PM
Final option done by mass. Simple!

Regards
Steve

Ah!....NOW I see what you were wanting...(duh, John!)...sorry I didn't catch on sooner.
You gotta love them massing tools!
John Mc