PDA

View Full Version : More Door Scheduling Woes

jcoe
2005-11-08, 10:29 PM
I think I already know the answer to this, but here it goes. Can you override schedule information that is tied to the physical characteristics of the door (ie. door width, height, thickness)?

I am finishing up a school project with some 300 doors (I know, who waits until the last minute to do the door schedule - we all do). However, some doors are new and A LOT are existing with only hardware replacement. How do I override the width, height, thickness parameters of the schedule with a "-".

I thought about shared parameters, but then what happens to the doors where I want to show door width, height, etc.?

If there is no way to do this, then there should be some sort of text override ability in schedules for just such an occasion.

Tom Dorner
2005-11-08, 10:53 PM
We have the same problem in some projects and I just do two different doors schedules, one for new doors and one for existing. The existing door schedule doesn't show the width, height or thickness. If one wanted the "-" to show then add a couple of new parameters to the schedule called fake width, height etc. fill in with the "-" and set the title to display Width, Height, Thickness.

Our contractors actually prefer this method since they now can clearly identify existing doors that get a hardware upgrade from new doors.

I'm not in favor of any over-ride though as this is too fraught with CAD like out of sync schedules.

HTH

Tom

aaronrumple
2005-11-08, 10:57 PM
Well at this point the best thing might be to have two schedules. One for existing doors getting new hardware and another for new doors. It sounds like you have the new door schedule working.

For the existing door schedule, just exclude the width, height, thickness. Then if you like add these back in with a "-" using a schedule key.

The only other thing you can do would be to update your families. You would need another set of shared parameters. For instance in the new doors, set "Scheduled Width" =Width using a formula. Then in the existing families just leave it blank.

Tom Dorner
2005-11-08, 11:07 PM
This post brings up a larger issue that is on my wish list which is for parameters in families to be able to read the phase information of the object. Then for things like door swing symbology the angle could be set to IF (Phase = Existing), 45, 90 or in this post's problem Schedule Width = IF (Phase = Existing), "-", Width

Tom

archjake
2005-11-09, 12:53 AM
This post brings up a larger issue that is on my wish list which is for parameters in families to be able to read the phase information of the object. Then for things like door swing symbology the angle could be set to IF (Phase = Existing), 45, 90 or in this post's problem Schedule Width = IF (Phase = Existing), "-", Width

Tom
You can do this now with a visibility check box. It would just have to be set after you place the door.

Tom Dorner
2005-11-09, 01:48 AM
Jake,

That is how we handle the door swings now. Just used it as an example that would be useful and leave us one less check box to worry about.

Tom