PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to turn off a category globally?

Archman
2005-11-09, 03:18 PM
I want to be able to turn off reference planes globally in every view in the project. Is this possible without going to every view one at a time?

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-09, 03:32 PM
I suppose you could change the object style settings for the project to a white pen? Otherwise no. They won't plot unless you tell Revit to plot them, fwiw...but you knew that :smile:

rhys
2005-11-09, 03:44 PM
I suppose you could change the object style settings for the project to a white pen?
Now thats a great tip. But I bet the lines will turn black on dwg export. Yep they sure do so not that good a way to control category visibity.

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-09, 03:48 PM
Now thats a great tip. But I bet the lines will turn black on dwg export.Not if you use "offwhite" I believe? 255, 255, 254...if I recall?

aggockel50321
2005-11-09, 04:03 PM
Another method would be to turn off the reference planes in one view, save it as a view template, then in the project browser, highlight all of the views, right click & select "apply view template" from the drop-down menu.

rhys
2005-11-09, 04:32 PM
Another method would be to turn off the reference planes in one view, save it as a view template, then in the project browser, highlight all of the views, right click & select "apply view template" from the drop-down menu.
Now thats the way to do it!! Changing colours to off white works too with lines but with other categories the outline of any filled pattern is exported even if there is no fill or an off white pattern.

aaronrumple
2005-11-09, 04:42 PM
Just watch out for the view template. It will change other settings too...

Scott D Davis
2005-11-09, 05:09 PM
I want to be able to turn off reference planes globally in every view in the project. Is this possible without going to every view one at a time?
One for the wishlist: a button/toggle that could turn on and off Ref Planes per view or globally. I could see this button added to the samll tool bar at the bottom of the drawing window, where we have scale/visibilty/crop region/etc.

Archman
2005-11-09, 06:11 PM
Now thats a great tip. But I bet the lines will turn black on dwg export.

Exactly... I want to turn the reference planes off before exporting to dwg to make consultant backgrounds. The reference planes, if on in the view, export, which confuses the consultants.

aaronrumple
2005-11-09, 06:40 PM
For consultant backgrounds we always have a separate view set up. We configure that the way the consultant wants to see it and then pretty much leave it alone. As we work on the architectural plan, the consultant's view is updated. The only items that are not transfered are drafting items, but our consultants don't want that stuff anyway.

When I update the backgrounds I'll also export the architectural floor plan for their reference.

tobytaylor
2005-11-10, 08:27 AM
Scott,
Another useful addition to that location would be the Phase and Filter state of the view and ability to change.
Toby

Elmo
2005-11-10, 10:03 AM
One for the wishlist: a button/toggle that could turn on and off Ref Planes per view or globally. I could see this button added to the samll tool bar at the bottom of the drawing window, where we have scale/visibilty/crop region/etc.
I can see this as being useful for families as well as projects.

Archman
2005-11-10, 02:24 PM
I've been thinking about how I would want this to work, and this is what I have come up with. The user would highlight a set of views in the project browser and right click bringing up a context menu. Then they would click properties on the context menu. (You can already do this) The the visibility button should be available. Once clicking the visibility button, the user would be able to turn on or off categories and make other visibility graphics changes and click OK and the changes would apply to all the views the user had selected in the project browser. Of course, the user would only be able to make changes in fields that are common to all the views selected. I think this would give the Revit user the level of control they would need. What do the rest of you think?

Rhythmick
2005-11-10, 02:46 PM
Lets not forget Grids also fall into this discussion.

Archman
2005-11-10, 03:30 PM
Lets not forget Grids also fall into this discussion.

In my example, you would have control of all categories - floors, ceiling, roofs, ref planes, lines, etc, etc....

Rhythmick
2005-11-10, 07:11 PM
Archman,
I think your idea for global visbility for items is a good one, however I agree the solution of a one click toggle on or off for references would suit a lot better as when you are in a view and want to breifly turn references on to place something, going through the view visability properties is a bunch of clicks and a pain. Then do it again to turn it back off.
I am aware there are keystrokes to turn them off - right? Are there some to turn them on?( or vice-versa), I've gotten away from using the keyboard like I did with ACAD, in learning Revit I let myself go the Windows route and need to take the time to learn the keystrokes and regain the speed advantage.

mibzim
2005-11-11, 01:56 AM
There is a button for global visibility of masses - maybe they could give some thought to how to control global visibility for everything - model elements, annotations etc??...

A global visibility menu.... could get complicated though when adjusting individual views which have different settings for, say, section lines etc... maybe the global visibility would override these as the mass visibility button currently does?

How about a global hide option aswell??