PDA

View Full Version : Parking component & subregion host

kim.96937
2005-11-09, 06:38 PM
When I inserted multiple parking components on the graded parking lot subregion of the site topo surface, they were fine and appeared normally in plan. After I selected the topo surface as the host for the components in order to annotate & schedule them, some of the components seem to randomly rotate out of plane with the surface(?!). The parking components are now skewed in plan and stick up into the air in 3d views (see attached). I cannot deselect or change the host in the properties menu. Any ideas as to why this is occurring and any possible solutions would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Kim

aggockel50321
2005-11-09, 07:32 PM
Not quite sure what you mean when you said you selected the topo surface as the host for the componets.

Does the phase of the site componets match the phase of the graded region?

sbrown
2005-11-09, 07:36 PM
when you select the topo for the host, it placed the parking tangent to the slope, ie painted it on the slope, if you look at your plan the corner of the parking slopes very quickly, you would need to flatten that out to park there.

kim.96937
2005-11-10, 04:07 PM
Not quite sure what you mean when you said you selected the topo surface as the host for the componets.

Does the phase of the site componets match the phase of the graded region?

I was trying to attach the parking spaces to the topo surface. The phases match. I realize now that there are a few similar threads discussing this problem (i.e. parking components not attaching to graded topographic surface). It would appear that the parking lot would have to be totally flat in order to have the parking lines appear properly. I think that the parking component is attaching to the surface at only one point, and, because the component is flat, it extends from its attachment point at that single height and angle. It does not 'map' to the changing grade of the topography. That's my take on it, anyway. One thread suggested copying the parking space and changing the family type from parking component to site component. I did this, re-inserted the component, and as soon as I select the topo surface as host, the component rotates & skews. Sigh.
Thanks for your thoughts, anyway.
Kim

aggockel50321
2005-11-10, 05:04 PM
It does not 'map' to the changing grade of the topography. That's my take on it, anyway.It seems to follow the slope of the largest flat surface area below it.

There is a workaround, Might be tedious if you have a lot of spaces.

Go to your site plan view. Create a subregion under each parking stripe. It's fast, if you use the rectangle sketch tool.

Create a new material, i.e. Site - Parking Stripe, and assign a solid white color.

Once finished, turn off the parking stripes in that 3d view, & your stripes will follow the contour.