PDA

View Full Version : DWG export

philipnoland
2005-11-09, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

I am exporting a rather large site with multiple topographic regions, around 100 imported revit models and other components to VIZ. In my dwg export I have an option button. There I can Export as ACIS solids or Export as Polymesh. Export rooms and areas as polylines and merge collinear wall lines. What is the most efficient selection out of these options inorder to minimize this already large file. Also if there is any other tips for doing such an export please let me know.

Thanks
Flip

Mr Spot
2005-11-09, 09:49 PM
100 revit models... I can see that being a hefty file.

Use merge colinear lines so revit will only create a pair of parallel lines for walls instead of 3 lines on top of each other..

Not being a big Viz user i wouldn't know which is best out of ACIS Solids or polymesh - but i imagine the solids may be more suitable to apply materials in Viz???

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-09, 10:53 PM
Hefty is an understatement! Unless they aren't all significant structures? Anyway, merge colinear lines will only affect the exported plan view of walls. Since you are exporting a 3D model for use in VIZ that won't do much good. I believe you want ACIS solid for VIZ. That's what I've been told works the best. Room area boundary export only really makes sense in plan view and probably isn't needed for your rendering efforts?

david.kingham
2005-11-09, 11:03 PM
Strangely the solid is a larger file when just dwg, but once you import into max the solid is much smaller when saved as 3ds...but it seems the polymesh is much better for applying materials (we're just starting to test this since we just got max8, in the next couple weeks we should know a lot more)

hand471037
2005-11-10, 12:03 AM
IIRC, at least with Max 8/VIZ 2006, you want to leave the export on polymesh, for then you get all the materials coming through properly (with split faces and painted surfaces and such...).

Been playin' around with this lately...

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-10, 12:07 AM
...at least with Max 8/VIZ 2006, you want to leave the export on polymesh, for then you get all the materials coming through properly (with split faces and painted surfaces and such...Thanks...last time I talked to someone about this they said they preferred the ACIS export. Moving target this is :smile:

nole
2005-11-10, 08:55 AM
Hi all!
I usually export Revit model as DWG in MAX. It works fine for me. If you then assign 2-sided materials in MAX, almost everything looks fine.

philipnoland
2005-11-10, 03:43 PM
Let me update you all with my project. I really need help on this one!
First off, the way I have my model set up:

I have a topographic region which is split into roads and paths. Not to intense on viz and works well with animation.
I then have about 3 different models imported into the topo for a total of about 60 cabins and 60 small garages.

I have been succesful in VIZ by hiding the houses and working with the camera. Its a little slow but not to bad. Then I thought since I was in a crunch I would apply a uniform texture to all the house and garage models so that if I did not get to create a well materialized rendering I would at least not have the unwanted colors of some elements like mullions which showed up purple. I did this by selecting all the models and attaching a material to it.

I also thought that this would look intresting much like a hand made model with lots of little plastic formed houses and buildings. I am trying not to go to deep with the material selections but have a good looking model that will get the information across to the viewer.

Well,

Not such a good idea in my book....
I have not been able to reload this since it "not responding" showed up. It seems as if it is only using 50% of my CPU. the file is 90MB. I don't know if this is to much or not.

DAVID KINGHAM:
Strangely the solid is a larger file when just dwg, but once you import into max the solid is much smaller when saved as 3ds...but it seems the polymesh is much better for applying materials (we're just starting to test this since we just got max8, in the next couple weeks we should know a lot more.

Do you mean it would be benifitial if I copied the models of the houses out of VIZ into a new session of VIZ and then back into the Topo region.

I will be trying different things today.

Please help,
Flip

david.kingham
2005-11-10, 03:47 PM
No I'm just saying if you export to a solid and import into viz the resulting 3ds file is smaller than if you exported to polymesh

philipnoland
2005-11-10, 03:57 PM
So if I export to ACIS it will be smaller and more manageble than polymesh?

david.kingham
2005-11-10, 04:56 PM
That's what my tests show, file size is smaller, just give it a try. Make sure weld is on in viz and the threshold should be .1 or lower. Also Derive AutoCAD Primitives should be set to Layer, Block as Node Hierarchy

brussell
2005-11-10, 05:02 PM
I have had the best results by NOT using solids. I typically find less issues with Normal flipping, etc. by simply using the polymesh option. Granted I import to MAX, but my understanding is that VIS is just a lightweight version of MAX. Just a thought.

Regards,
Brian

ASG Architects and Planners
Visualization Studio

david.kingham
2005-11-10, 05:04 PM
I agree polymesh is probably better, just the file size is smaller with solids