PDA

View Full Version : WOW detail components in window families

sbrown
2003-05-22, 07:53 PM
I took the detail sweeps and used the idea in our window families and imported detail components in for the sections, check out this window family.

beegee
2003-05-22, 09:23 PM
I took the detail sweeps and used the idea in our window families and imported detail components in for the sections, check out this window family.

Great work Steve.
Looking forward to the possibilites to develope detail families in the future.

beegee

Scott D Davis
2003-05-23, 12:48 AM
OK, I've got it! What we need, is the ability to put detail components into profile families! The detail components could be set to "display when cut" only.

Then we could use profiles as sweeps in families, or as sweeps when editing wall structure in section. The detail components would show in section or detail callouts!

Whaddya think?

gregcashen
2003-05-23, 02:00 AM
That makes the most sense to me.

Greg

PeterJ
2003-05-23, 05:54 AM
You should talk with Martin, Scott, you have seen what he is doing and it seems to be very powerful indeed.

Pete

narlee
2003-05-23, 12:15 PM
Can't figure out how to make a detail into a sweep. Am I missing something basic?

Martin P
2003-05-23, 01:07 PM
OK, I've got it! What we need, is the ability to put detail components into profile families! The detail components could be set to "display when cut" only.

Then we could use profiles as sweeps in families, or as sweeps when editing wall structure in section. The detail components would show in section or detail callouts!

Whaddya think?

I origianlly though that would be the best way, but the problem would be you are tying it down to walls. I think they could be best applied like a beam family ie dragging a line, this would work in plans AND elevations - you could have something similar to area plans, ie detail plans/elevations - that way you could easily see where each detail was, and easily edit it....... it would be a nice easy way to see clearly where each detail was applied - you could have different line colours to represent different details

sbrown
2003-05-23, 02:47 PM
The beauty is how simple it is, here is the process

file new family,
generic model

in plan delete the center ref. line. place one left ref plane(make it origin and left ref.) place a right ref plane, make it origin.

then add a dimension, call it lengthe and make it instance.

draw a line between them lock it to the ends and add returns(just to help you grab and stretch it.(note put this on an object style you can turn off)

now go to your left elevation and place the detail components you want, add additionaly height / offset dimensions and boom. load align, stretch and cut some sections baby!!!

Now go to your your window families add blocking, header detail components, jamb extensions(make em visible in fine only)

WOW !!!!

Martin P
2003-05-23, 02:56 PM
The beauty is how simple it is, here is the process

file new family,
generic model

in plan delete the center ref. line. place one left ref plane(make it origin and left ref.) place a right ref plane, make it origin.

then add a dimension, call it lengthe and make it instance.

draw a line between them lock it to the ends and add returns(just to help you grab and stretch it.(note put this on an object style you can turn off)

now go to your left elevation and place the detail components you want, add additionaly height / offset dimensions and boom. load align, stretch and cut some sections baby!!!

Now go to your your window families add blocking, header detail components, jamb extensions(make em visible in fine only)

WOW !!!!

You also need to remember to select the loaded detail components, and make the visibility only when cut.

sbrown
2003-05-23, 03:02 PM
I didn't have to do that. But it is an option.

Martin P
2003-05-23, 03:32 PM
I didn't have to do that. But it is an option.

You are right, it doenst affect it. weird? never noticed that - maybe it is safer to pick it though in case they fix it later so it does?

Scott D Davis
2003-05-23, 03:41 PM
I origianlly though that would be the best way, but the problem would be you are tying it down to walls.

Not necessarily. You could extrude any shape in the family editor, using the Sweep option, using a loaded profile. The loaded profile could define the shape of the extrusion, and then the detail components would also be in the extrusion, but would only show when cut.

This could be used for door frames and window frames, for instance. I don't think it would be limited just to walls.

Martin P
2003-05-23, 03:53 PM
[quote:1892c60ee3="Martin P"]I origianlly though that would be the best way, but the problem would be you are tying it down to walls.

Not necessarily. You could extrude any shape in the family editor, using the Sweep option, using a loaded profile. The loaded profile could define the shape of the extrusion, and then the detail components would also be in the extrusion, but would only show when cut.

This could be used for door frames and window frames, for instance. I don't think it would be limited just to walls.[/quote:1892c60ee3]

I see what you mean now :oops: , I think we are talking about different things, you would like to see a 3D object (a sweep), with detail inside it, yes?... The thing I am blathering on about is for detail that is within a floor/ceiling/roof/wall - where all you want to see is the detail appear on sections and plans - and to locate it you just draw a line to represent its location, and when you cut through this line the detail will appear, It can kind of be done now, with an instance paramater, but would be even better if you could just draw a line....

sbrown
2003-05-23, 03:54 PM
you dont need any sweeps, just place the detail components in the side view they will only show up where the window is.