PDA

View Full Version : Project template

Chris DiSunno
2005-11-10, 03:41 PM
We are about to start over on a new office default template file w/ all our default info (title-blocks, levels, families, system settings, etc.). Do we need to do this over again for each version/release as they come out? Is there a good way to do this?

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-10, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure whether you have to do it for each release but it is a safe practice to save the template (renamed ) to a separate folder. Doing the same for the standard library (renamed) is also a good idea, so that you can add to either while maintaining the original.

eldad
2005-11-11, 04:37 AM
if you don't upgrade your template file to your latest Revit, everytime you open a new project, Revit will upgrade the template file and pop a little message telling you it does.

if you upgraded Revit, you might as well upgrade your template, and if you think you'll ever go back to Revit 7 than do like zanzibarbob7 suggested and save a copy...

zanzibarbob7
2005-11-11, 12:39 PM
I think Chris was worried that when he upgraded his template that it would be overridden and have to start over. I still suggest the save but suspect that opening just your previous template, not a new project, in a newer version of Revit, will give you the "one time Upgrade" message. This, I think, will suffice and if that is the one you use as default, subsequent projects opened under it will work fine and he will have sustained all his templates parameters.

Is this right or wrong?

Raymond Ncube
2005-11-11, 01:04 PM
There is no need to create a new template unless there are major changes to your existing Office template. All you have to do is upgrade your template every time a new release comes out and or when you have modifications to the template. Open your existing Office default template with the latest release then save it as a new Office template. Your entire settings families in the project template will be upgraded and you will not get the once off upgrade pop up next time you open the office template in the same release.

Chris DiSunno
2005-11-11, 03:54 PM
I am thinking of the "stuff" we don't know about or want to know about in the programming. Isn't there thinks we will start missing in functionality by upgrading a file each time over the course of 4 or 5 versions. Should we start with the "project 1" and create a template each time? It seems like alot of work.

J. Grouchy
2005-11-11, 04:15 PM
We just save each template and add a release note in the name (e.g. "template_r7.rte" or "template_r81.rte") and each version we have installed is just directed to open its respective template via the options dialogue.