PDA

View Full Version : Wierd dimensioning problem : "Can't create dimension...

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-10, 06:34 AM
Hello guys!
I got this weird dimensioning problem, it seems whenever I try to dimension certain gridlines ( "A" to "J" in this case) I can't seem to be able to dimension past "G" gridline for some reason, it will always give me this cryptic error message, does anyone have this problem or can explain to me (SILLY OL' ME) what I did wrong?
ERROR MESSAGE :
"Can't create dimension. Highlighted references are not parallel to first selection.."

Thanks in advance ! :)

PeterJ
2004-03-10, 06:41 AM
This suggests that you may have drawn one of your gridlines ever so slightly on the skew.

You can redraw or just try and dimension to an end point on the grid line. If it's not one of those then I don't know what it is.

beegee
2004-03-10, 07:19 AM
I've had this happen before also.

I suggest you redo the grids by offsetting from a clean one, otherwise it will come back to haunt you later in the project.

jbalding48677
2004-03-10, 10:56 AM
We have had this happen on walls as well. Usually when we are tracing an AutoCAD underlay that had an origin a great distance away. 2,200 miles in one case.

We advocate the use of the shift key when laying out geometry over the top of dwgs. That way you can be assured that you are snapping at 90 degrees.

PaulB
2004-03-10, 09:08 PM
I've also had something similar in that if I tried to dimension a wall from a site boundary line that isn't parallel to the wall it won't dimension. If you have two walls that arn't parallel they won't dimension either. The only work around that I've done is to draw a model line at the point that I need the dimension and use that as the parallel "entity".

Richard McCarthy
2004-03-11, 12:09 AM
Great Tips guys! Thanks very much for your help! :D