PDA

View Full Version : Other clipping planes not displaying correctly

stusic
2005-11-11, 03:09 AM
Not to get confused with a similar thread... anywho:

Heyas!

I've begun to cut sections of my model using clipping planes, but on some (not all) parts, it may just display as small dots at corners and such; almost like seeing nodes instead of the profile of the part. Doh! I don't know how to describe it so i'll just attach a screenshot.

In the active viewport, you'll see the dots on the enlarged detail. the other viewport has the original detail that you can see. this viewport does fine with the clipping planes, but the active viewport won't do it. Grr..

Can anybody help?

Thanks Everyone,

Phillip

jaberwok
2005-11-11, 07:44 AM
What are the objects that are being clipped? Solid, mesh, wireframe, lines?

stusic
2005-11-11, 12:33 PM
What are the objects that are being clipped? Solid, mesh, wireframe, lines?

They're all solids. And, of course, when I turn clipping off, they go back to normal. I dunno...weird...

Thanks,
Phillip

Mike.Perry
2005-11-11, 10:07 PM
Hi

Without actually seeing the drawing file in question, the following is a bit of a guess...

Your Front and Back Clipping Planes are too close together. Look at moving one of them ie

Front Clipping Plane further forward.
or
Back Clipping Plane further back.

Have a good one, Mike

stusic
2005-11-14, 08:57 PM
I've attached the drawing... I don't think I have the planes too close though, they're all at least a couple of inches apart...

Even if I move the clipping planes apart, I have to move either the front or back clipping plane so it fully encompasses the piece before it'll stop showing the dots. In an effort to get the project out on time, I created layers for each piece (pain in the butt) and froze the pieces I didn't want.

Examples of this problem are all over my drawing-- just make sure you turn on all the layers before proceeding with adjusting the clipping planes.

Any help would be great.

Thanks All,

Phillip Bradshaw

Mike.Perry
2005-11-15, 12:09 AM
I've attached the drawing... I don't think I have the planes too close though, they're all at least a couple of inches apart...Hi

Please refer to the attached ZIP file ( I think the drawing file contained within, now shows what you are after ).

If yes, take a look at the information I posted above.

If no, please explain further.

Have a good one, Mike

stusic
2005-11-15, 01:26 PM
Part of what I was wanting to do was to show a section, looking from the top, of the front wall of the truck. When I'd put my front clipping plane below the roof (I don't want to show that) and my back clipping plane above the chassis (that either) I'd run into this problem. Does the back clipping plane have to be completely behind the model? If so, why even have one? What you had done was essentially the same thing as what I've been doing; you put the back clipping plane past the model, I just turned it off. Isn't there a way to show a 3-inch section of a part?

I think I'm lost, do you know the way??

Thanks Mike,

Phillip

Mike.Perry
2005-11-16, 12:20 AM
Hi
Part of what I was wanting to do was to show a section, looking from the top, of the front wall of the truck. When I'd put my front clipping plane below the roof (I don't want to show that) and my back clipping plane above the chassis (that either) I'd run into this problem.Can you please set-up a view exactly how you want, we can then take a look...

Does the back clipping plane have to be completely behind the model? If so, why even have one?Not always, depends of what it is you want to achieve...

What you had done was essentially the same thing as what I've been doing; you put the back clipping plane past the model, I just turned it off. Isn't there a way to show a 3-inch section of a part?Does it not show exactly what you want?

If no, please explain what is wrong with the view.

I think I'm lost, do you know the way??Have a read through "Clipping" in the AutoCAD Online File [F1] - should help explain one or two things.

Plus, experiment / play / test... you can not really break anything.

Have a good one, Mike

jimmy.bergmark
2005-11-17, 08:42 AM
This is a know bug since long time ago. We just have to do some noice about it so Autodesk might fix it.

stusic
2005-11-18, 05:11 PM
Okay, I've simplified it down to where I can't "fake"it. I've drawn exactly where the section needs to go, but the way it's set up, you HAVE to use both front and back clipping planes. If you move the planes you'll see why... I've made a basic layout to show the section, but it doesn't look right.

Is it a bug with a workaround??

jimmy.bergmark
2005-12-08, 01:01 AM
It is a bug and no workaround known.