PDA

View Full Version : Soffits

BomberAIA
2005-11-11, 08:42 PM
How do you make a triangular return soffit as shown?

Henry D
2005-11-11, 09:18 PM
I would first try doing it with a host sweep roof fascia. Draw a profile made up of the fascia and the soffit and then apply it to the edges of the roof. That way you will have a continuous soffit under the overhangs.

tonyisenhoff
2005-11-12, 03:19 AM
Another choice - In-place family (sweep). That way when you look at it in elevation, you don't see down thru the fascia/soffit.

If the material is the same as the roof, you can join geometry to remove the extra lines...

Paul P.
2005-11-12, 09:55 AM
Bomber, Aaron Rumple showed how you can achieve this in a similar thread using the existing wall sweep fascia tool, he also posted a .rvt file showing an example that might help. (found the example so you dont have to search)

Regards, Paul.

JTF
2005-11-12, 11:16 AM
Bomber, Aaron Rumple showed how you can achieve this in a similar thread using the existing wall sweep fascia tool, he also posted a .rvt file showing an example that might help. (found the example so you dont have to search)

Regards, Paul.
Just to expand on Aaron's great tip.

If you need to extend the fascia out more you can add fascia on top of the main fascia.
The way I do it is as follows.
1. Add another fascia on top of the return by selecting the original return upper front edge.
2. Select the newly added fascia and go to properties.
3. Change the vert. and horz. offsets by the thickness and height of the fascia.
Negitive offset for the horz. and positive offset for the vert.
4. Adjust the new fascia with it's control grips if needed.
5. Join all fascias as need.
6. Stack as many on top of each other as you need, and join as needed.
7. The best part is that if you need to adjust the length of the return. select your original bottom
return and the above attached ones will follow.

I remeber when I first ran accross Aaron's tip, this has saved me countless hours of work arounds with in-place families.

BomberAIA
2005-11-12, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the help. Hope to see some of you at AU.

BomberAIA
2005-11-14, 12:33 PM
This was my solution: I used a Host Sweep, 1x8 Fascia. I attached it to the bottom of the fascia, moved it up to align w/ the bottom of the existing fascia and attached it. It worked perfect. Thanks for the help.

patricks
2005-11-14, 05:33 PM
I usually try to create the objects as it would actually be built. I'll do a flat 1x soffit that runs flat down the sides of the gable/dormer, then do an in-place family for the triangular 1x pieces (3/4" deep), the vertical 1x pieces behind the triangular pieces, and sometimes for the sloping 1x soffit underneath the gable rake. Other times I will do those sloping soffits as 2 separate soffit elements (since soffits can't have more than one slope-defining line for some odd reason).