PDA

View Full Version : Windows and doors in inplace wall families

sbrown
2004-03-10, 05:07 PM
I thought you could place windows and doors in inplace families(walls) Is this right? if so I haven't been able to do it. Any ideas?

Scott D Davis
2004-03-10, 05:13 PM
The inplace family wall has to have enough geometry to host the door/window. JB ran across this once at a Revit users meeting. The in-place family wall was tilted too much, so the door would have busted through the side of the wall, and therefore could not be placed. Your in-place wall has to have enough height and thickness to host the whole object you are trying to place.

jbalding48677
2004-03-10, 06:22 PM
Scott is right. We also saw it at AU during the organic shapes seminar.

I think there was a way to do what you want...

Was it add a void to the face of the door? Add hidden lines out in front or at the threshold... Or change the bottom width to a small one add the doors and then enlarge the bottom. Talking off the top of my head right now.

I am going to try it here for another project.

jbalding48677
2004-03-10, 06:41 PM
Interestingly enough, I just tried and could not put a door in the wall with even the slightest of cant. When I tried to put it in in a 3d view it worked :screwy: Same with the window.

Then when I changed the profile to very thick at the bottom and pretty thick at the top the doors are still cut, and the head is at the exterior face of the wall and I can still add more in the 3d view.

PeterJ
2004-03-10, 06:59 PM
There is, I think, a stated reason for this anomaly, whereby you can only place hosted objects into in-place family hosts in 3D but I forget completely what it is.

sbrown
2004-03-10, 07:40 PM
I've tried in 3d and plan an no luck, so I build a wall behind my canted wall which will host the windows and then cut voids in the canted wall. Time consuming but works.

beegee
2004-03-10, 10:25 PM
I can place doors and windows in 3D without a problem, never could in 2D though. Always has been, I think.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1723