PDA

View Full Version : working with site info

nrenfro
2004-03-10, 09:16 PM
I have been able to import my site planners DWG file into Revit and model the topographical with great success. I was wondering if their was a efficient way to show other line work that the Planner has in their drawing. Specifically I am thinking about parking space designations, road and sidewalk lines work ect. I figure from past discussions I will need the road and sidewalk information as a underlay so I can split faces and assign materials. In this instance I will not need to be concerned with tracking and tabulating things like parking spaces. If I could I would like to hold on to this line work to minimize redraw time. Has anyone had this come up, or have an idea how I can archive this with minimal redraw time? thanks

Taylor A
2004-03-10, 10:18 PM
If you don't explode the DWG file you can control it's layer visibility.
When you explode a dwg file all the lines on the different layers get put into Revit Line Styles using the DWG layer name.

nrenfro
2004-03-11, 03:01 AM
I don't have any reason to explode the file I would like to find a simple way to impose some of the line information that I don't necessarily need to re draft. My suspension is that this can't be done without re assigning the level at which the line work appears. But, more times than not Revit has pleasantly and simply surprised me.

beegee
2004-03-11, 03:27 AM
So you just want to trace specific lines from the dwg file ?

That is not a problem. Tabbing will even highlight chains of lines which is faster still .( in 6.0 ) ie tabbing over a parking layout will highlight for selection/tracing, all connected lines in that layout.

The linework that you trace is of course not linked in any way to the dwg file.

sbrown
2004-03-11, 04:26 AM
Just switch to wireframe and your topo won't hide the lines. I almost never redraw site info. Just make sure they put everything on the right layers and then you can make lines heavier or lighter via the dwg object styles. You can even use the linework tool on lines as you need to. Or like you thought you could set a site plan level that was above your building then import the dwg into that view and not need wireframe.