PDA

View Full Version : Roof Family Problems

cphubb
2004-03-10, 09:16 PM
Does anybody have a method for attaching roof based families to sloped roofs and keep the family level? Examples would be roof hatches, smoke vents, exhaust penthouses etc. I have attached a penthouse but it always attaches to the roof perpendicular to the slope. Not really noticable when on a nearly flat roof but enough that it doesn't detail correctly. Really noticable when on a 4/12 pitch though.

I have tried different things but it looks like I have to use a generic family with a reference plan that adjusts to the roof pitch. I would prefer not to do that.

Please see attached family file.

Thanks

Chris

beegee
2004-03-10, 09:38 PM
In the family, under Settings, Family Categories & Parameters, check the box " Always Vertical"

This will " straighten" the roof penthouse, but it will be partly buried in the roof , if the roof is steeply pitched. To fix that you need to make a base, either as an in place family or else as roof based with the penthouse as a nested family in that. You would need to adjust the reference planes of the penthouse family to sit some distance above the roof plane, if you were doing the base as an in-place family. If you go the nested family route, convert the penthouse to a generic model before nesting it in the roof based - base family.

Hop that makes some sort of sense.