PDA

View Full Version : Linked files and phases

beegee
2004-03-11, 02:46 AM
I have a master site plan containing both rvt and dwg linked files.

I want to show a plan for stage 1 only.

I can use the visibility graphics dialogue to assign phases and filters to the rvt files and I can select the dwg instances and turn off visibility for their instances- so far so good.

Problem arises when there are instances of a linked rvt file in both Stage 1 and Stage 2. In this case, rvt links. The visibility graphics dialogue only shows the one file linked, not each instance, so I can't turn off just the instance in Stage 2.
If I link another instance, there is still only the one file type showing.

Anyone come across this or have a solution ?

beegee
2004-03-11, 05:22 AM
I suppose I could make the instance in Stage 2 as a dwg file and control its display in Stage 1 that way.

But I'd rather not. It will require redoing if the rvt file changes if I go that way.

Any other ideas ?

PeterJ
2004-03-11, 11:34 AM
Can you not duplicate your linked file and then link that in so that you have different named files?

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-11, 05:01 PM
Can you not duplicate your linked file and then link that in so that you have different named files?

that's what I would do.

beegee
2004-03-11, 09:31 PM

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a linked file, because I then have two separate copies of the same building to update if I make a change to the original design ?

Or, am I missing something here ?

PeterJ
2004-03-12, 08:42 AM
Yeah but you update one and duplicate it again and you have two copies, it is one extra stage and so not a big overhead on your time.

beegee
2004-03-12, 11:03 PM
As you say, that sort of overhead is acceptable for a 2 stage master plan, but much beyond that and its not.

For those projects I'd be looking at linked dwg files as copies of the original rvt, so that their visibility could be controlled in future stages and updated from the original reasonably easily.

Its unfortunate to need to rely on dwgs when Revit could do the job perfectly, if only linked files could be instanced.