PDA

View Full Version : Missing Levels

bmarler
2005-11-15, 08:50 PM
When a file is started from an imported CAD file which has been automatically placed, the project is then started way out in space. Then the level indicator lines cannot be found, is there an easy way to reset them so they are visible in section and elevation or do I have to keep search long and hard for them?

iru69
2005-11-15, 09:07 PM
There are tons of threads on this subject, the most recent was just a few days ago:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=28491&highlight=levels+scope

I hope that helps... try searching for "missing" or "hidden" "levels" and "scope box".

That being said, the implementation of level lines in Revit is a complete mess. Level lines are constantly disappearing and I've spent many hours reassembling them in views. While I understand that it may not be a "bug", and that there are various "procedures" to displaying them correctly, the fact that there are dozens of threads on this topic all with the basic theme of "what happened to my levels?" points to a problem that needs to be addressed.

sbrown
2005-11-15, 09:25 PM
Actually they were a mess, they have addressed the issues and now the levels(latest build of 8.1) work as intended. All you have to do, is go to a view where you see your levels, right click on them and chose maximize 3d extents.

bmarler
2005-11-15, 09:51 PM
That doesn't work they have disapeared so I can't click on one to make Max. Extents,
(I have checked to make sure they weren't deleted)

sbrown
2005-11-15, 10:00 PM
If they aren't visible in any view that suprises me, however no worries, draw a new level, right click on it, chose select all, then right click again and maximize 3d extents.

bmarler
2005-11-15, 10:13 PM
Tried that, still nothing.

Merlin
2005-11-15, 10:19 PM
I had the same problems after inserting a .dwg file also. It seemed to increase the limits (sorry!...I know that's AutoCAD lingo).
Might I suggest that those levels are there as Scott suggested. What you may have to do is:
1.open an elevation view
2.Go to your Visibility and turn off everything except the levels (they are under the annotation tab in Visibility)
3. widen the turn off the cropped view or widen the crop region to an "obscene" extent.

Then you may see the levels and apply Scott's recommendations.
HTH
John Mc

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-15, 11:57 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess that the reason the building isn't located near the original drawing area is related to a dwg file that was or is being used. Check where the origin of this dwg file is.

I recently encountered a user's file that had the building located 2.6 million feet from the origin. This meant stretching the crop region out to see the levels rendered them "invisible". Basically looking for your "street" while orbiting at roughly 500 miles above the earth.

The thing is you need to expand the crop region far enough to see them, but you won't be able to. You'll need to zoom in at one end and pan across hoping for a glimpse of them. If you find out far from the origin the dwg is that will help you zero in on them. Changing the scale will help a bit because the level targets will get bigger as the view scale changes (to 1"=400' versus 1/8"=1'-0").

Mr Spot
2005-11-16, 02:08 AM
To avoid this in the future setup your template so the levels are located within the elevation marker positions in plan. That way when you start a new project you just have to centre any new elements within these boundaries.

sbrown
2005-11-16, 02:55 PM
Can you post your file? Or send it to support. I have yet to find a level I couldn't find by the method I described(creating a new level, selecting all, then maximize). Revit as Steve suggested has many issues with models with things far away from the origin so you will want to relocate this project closer to the origin, regardless of the level issue. In 8.1 there are tools for this so you don't have to physically move anything. Just use Tools>Project Position/Orientation>relocate this project, then in 3000' increments move you project to the origin.

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-16, 06:08 PM
...then in 3000' increments move you project to the origin...This is true if you ENTER a value to move things. If you pick points instead (start and end) Revit will let you move things much farther than 3000 ft at a time. In fact I moved the massing in the example I mentioned earlier in one move by doing so...all 2.6 million feet :smile: I just put a couple reference planes where I wanted them to use a pick points.

sbrown
2005-11-16, 08:18 PM
good to know.

bpayne
2006-02-13, 10:10 PM
Similar thing just happened to one of our files. The "First Floor" level has decided not to show up on any elevation or section. It's MIA...walls/doors/floor plans are still referencing it, but it's "not there"!