PDA

View Full Version : ID Posts - Concrete Columns & Framing

A3D
2005-11-15, 08:59 PM
I would like to start a series of threads that would thoroughly tackle a few aspects of Revit. These aspects are those that especially hurt the novice-medium user.

WHY:
- I, as well as other users, got confronted with problems that were solved in the forum. The solutions sometimes don’t work. It is quite frustrating that after trying to fix it yourself, you get high hopes and in the end you still can’t have the right solution/workaround.
- In this way I’ll try to concentrate a few scattered threads dealing with the same problem.

RULES:
- please do not post stuff like “Revit in version 10 will do in for sure, the Factory knows it, etc.”. Stick to the current build.
- post the file in response. Please no more “try that to see if it works”.
- we all are using Revit. Unless necessary, please refrain from negative comments (“bah, if it can’t do this it’s worthless, XXX does it better”, etc.)

Enough talking.

Here goes the first one:

Category:
Structural Columns/ Framing
Description:
In the attached file, Revit fails to properly join the framing.
Solutions tried:
1. Changing the Column’s Family Category to Generic Models doesn’t fix the problem either. See file (2). It actually makes the problem worse.
2. I tried aligning the face of a beam. The result seems good, but it actually moves the beam.
Questions:
1. Is there any acceptable way to fix it? Solutions like moving it a bit further just don’t apply (I’m not going to slightly move dozens of beams)

Thank you all

Alex Page
2005-11-15, 09:01 PM
Sorry, uninterested in your rules...I certainly dont have the time to download your files, fix them and send them back...so I guess if you arr not interested in my 'try this' ideas, Ill move to the next post

(Two days later) ...sorry, read my post, must have had a bad day and sounded ruder then I meant.........I found Wes's way has worked for me

A3D
2005-11-15, 09:45 PM
It's not about fixing my families.
I try to do this as a help for a series of users. If it was only for me, I wouldn't have bothered writing such a long message.
These are generic problems that I encountered in several threads and still don't have a solution for them.
Secondly, if I post a file is because it certainly makes it easier to see the problem.
Thirdly, it wasn't quite a constructive post. At least you could have tried to understand a problem that I'm not the first to encounter.

Wes Macaulay
2005-11-16, 07:48 AM
One workaround that I have implemented is editing the beam family to include a length extension parameter to allow the solids in the beam to extend enough to meet the column. There's not much to do with regards to the columns: it's the beams that you need to look at.

Edit one of your beam families and add a parameter to extend the beam enough for it to touch the column.

Will this work for you?

A3D
2005-11-16, 01:29 PM
Thanks Wes.
I'll try to see if I manage to do it.
If I'm successful, I'll post the family.
If not, I'll keep asking :)

However just a quick note: it is the column which interfere in a proper join of the beams. See attached images.

A3D
2005-11-16, 07:20 PM
Wes,

I found a family with similar characteristics you posted in
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12633.

Still won't do the trick :(

lev.lipkin
2005-11-16, 09:01 PM
Factory understands the need for concrete cleanup in more cases, including those which software does not handle automatically in 8.1 release.

Currently when concrete beam penetrates column in the mid of both, no clean up is done automatically. You can split beam (using split tool) or use Join Geometry on beam and column.

End of the beams in the mid of the column should clean, and they did when I picked the end of the beam. It is probably bug that they did not clean automatically (please send journal creating such condition through support). Pick end control of one beam, or use Join Geometry.

Sorry for trouble.

A3D
2005-11-16, 11:30 PM
I attach the journal.

A3D
2005-11-17, 09:02 PM
Here is a possible solution, see attached files.

The credit goes to sbrown, see
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=223657

Drawbacks of the newly created family:
- can't stretch it while in a 3D view (real structural framing can be stretched)
- the length can't be scheduled (or I don't know to do it properly :(

Thank you all and I hope it will help somebody else.