PDA

View Full Version : Linetype Problem

sfraney
2005-11-16, 02:49 PM
Hi guys,

I have a little problem, when I draw a grid line ( for example) in revit it shows as a center line like it's supposed to, no probs here. The problem occurs when I export this grid line into autocad. Intailly, the autocad drawing displays the grid line spacing correctly, BUT, when I change my autocad linetype scale to 96 (1/8" scale) in the autocad drawing, the line appears to be continuous.

I need a way to export this grid line, and other lines such as dashed, dotted, etc. from revit into autocad and to be able to set my linetype in autocad to 96 while still displaying the imported line correctly, any ideas.

This has been a lingering problem that I need to resolve as soon as possible.

aggockel50321
2005-11-16, 04:28 PM
Try this.

Before you export a view, set it's scale to full size (Custom=1).

Then do the export. You should get the right line scales then.

david.kingham
2005-11-16, 04:41 PM
Except that screws up your annotation when you change the scale.
Revit exports use psltscale instead of ltscale, there is no way to change that as far as I know

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-16, 06:39 PM
...This has been a lingering problem that I need to resolve as soon as possible.As you already realize Revit is exporting a "complex" object that might usually be spread across 3 layers on to one layer, the grid line, the bubble and the text.

Revit is creating a new linetype during export so the grid line will look right while being on the same layer with the bubble's line along with the text. If you switch the gridline's linetype to your native AutoCAD grid linestyle it will work as you are accustomed to in AutoCAD. This can be done pretty quickly with the selection features of AutoCAD.

I don't know what programming skills you have or are at your disposal but you can create a routine that will take all the lines on a certain layer and of a certain type and switch them to a different linetype. Better yet the routine will create a new layer, switch them to this new layer and set them to ByLayer instead.

The same approach is true for many things that you might need to tweak after export.

BWG
2005-11-16, 07:10 PM
I think his linetypes are already correct, but it is the scale of the linetype in ACAD that is giving him grief.

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-16, 07:42 PM
I think his linetypes are already correct, but it is the scale of the linetype in ACAD that is giving him grief.The linetype Revit creates works fine when ltscale is set to 1 but not when you use the ltscale he needs to use to work in AutoCAD.

The problem is that Revit doesn't really care about ltscale. Because the gridline is not assigned to a separate layer Revit has to force the linetype to be something other than ByLayer and it also creates the linetype accordingly. Switching them as I describe is the fastest way to get them "right" until Revit extends the export options for complex options to use more layers.

Personally I'd prefer that AutoCAD got smarter about how to read Revit data than Revit spending time figuring out how to export to dwg better. Wouldn't it be so much better if AutoCAD could just load the RVT file? They you could decide what to show in a given dwg file. I'd be happy if "Export to DWG" was not in our vocabulary anymore :smile:.