PDA

View Full Version : Material Problem

dsw98
2005-11-16, 03:17 PM
I'm trying to change the color of the pattern I have for siding. So I'm just picking the wall going all the way into Material Settings change the color. The problem is a few of my walls that are 2x4 aren't changing. However my 2x6 walls that have the same pattern are changing. Is there a reason why the 2x4 walls aren't changing? When I go straight to Settings>Materials and find that patern, the color is what I want but still won't change. I'm very confused.

cvieira
2005-11-16, 03:49 PM
Post an RVT file with an example to understand better!

Elmo
2005-11-16, 04:45 PM
You need to change the material for all your walls. When you change the 2 x 6 it will only do it for this wall type. So you would need to tell the 2 x 4 to change as-well.

dsw98
2005-11-16, 05:02 PM
You need to change the material for all your walls. When you change the 2 x 6 it will only do it for this wall type. So you would need to tell the 2 x 4 to change as-well.

I did that, that's where the problem happens. When I navigate to the material setting inside the 2x4 wall it says it has changed. But when I go back to the project the wall stays the old color. I'm thinking I have a BUG or maybe Gnomes :-D

Rhythmick
2005-11-16, 06:05 PM
I think you really only need to change the material settings once and wherever the material is applied (2x4, 2x6 or ?) it will make the change globally. Using the settings - materials pull down menu makes the process quicker than going through the wall properties to get there.
Just a thought - I'm wondering if it could be a memory issue that might be resolved by closing and reopening Revit or going as far as doing a cold reboot.

dsw98
2005-11-16, 07:24 PM
I think you really only need to change the material settings once and wherever the material is applied (2x4, 2x6 or ?) it will make the change globally. Using the settings - materials pull down menu makes the process quicker than going through the wall properties to get there.
Just a thought - I'm wondering if it could be a memory issue that might be resolved by closing and reopening Revit or going as far as doing a cold reboot.

I've tried all of the above. In fact it was at the end of the day Yesturday I had the problem. I shut everthing down and went home. Came back today and I still have the problem. I did find a solution. I went into the 2x4 wall(the one not changing) and changed it's material to something totaly different. I think it was a sash material. Updated the wall. Then went back and changed to the siding I wanted. I worked. However, just to see what would Happend I did try the global settings change. My 2x6 wall changed, and you guessed it. The 2x4 wall didn't change. I'm scratching my head on this one. But at least I found a work around just to get the elevations right.

SkiSouth
2005-11-16, 07:56 PM
I'm trying to change the color of the pattern I have for siding. So I'm just picking the wall going all the way into Material Settings change the color.
Are you changing this pattern color for your material for viewing in plan or elevation? Is this color for a shading view or a rendering view?

The problem is a few of my walls that are 2x4 aren't changing. However my 2x6 walls that have the same pattern are changing. Is there a reason why the 2x4 walls aren't changing? When I go straight to Settings>Materials and find that patern, the color is what I want but still won't change. I'm very confused.
Start a new project, place both walls in the project, group the walls, save out and post the group. Someone will look at what you're attempting to do and see if they can help.

dsw98
2005-11-16, 08:06 PM
No it's not for the rendered view. It's mostly for elevation and 3d views. When I get more time I'll try and post the 2 walls.

dsw98
2005-11-17, 03:16 PM
Okay here are the walls I was having problems with. The blue wall is a 2x6 stacked wall. The other is a 2x4 wall. If you go to the Settings pulldown and go to materials (SIDING is the material I have assigned) you'll see the color is a shade of blue. Then if you pick the 2x4 wall and navigate to material settings throught it's properties you'll see the color is also blue, but in reality it isnt, as you can see. Any guesses as to why? I've had this problem with other materials also. Like rock and brick on walls.

iru69
2005-11-17, 04:15 PM
You have your membrane layer on top of your siding layer. The order of the materials matters. Make the siding layer the top layer and the wall turns to blue as it's suppose to. Also, consider using the proper designations for your layers, such as "finish" for siding rather than "structure".

dsw98
2005-11-17, 04:55 PM
Thanks, I didn't realize the layers were switched. That solves it.