PDA

View Full Version : Need some stair advice...

DanielleAnderson
2005-11-17, 02:04 AM
Okay, I am down to the wire here, just a couple days until a fairly big deadline.
I need some advice on stairs and accompanying railings.
Can I create a stringer that is a 3:12 HSS? I'm not seeing that as an option. Is this one of those times when I would be encouraged to build the stair as an in-place family? I really dont' want to take that much time but perhaps I need to...
It's not a terribly complicated stair, just steel pan with concrete treads and the stringers that are hollow sections...I need a good brainstorming session here.
Thanks.
OH: and you can see I'm having some issues with my ballusters too...

Scott D Davis
2005-11-17, 02:09 AM
Are the HSS stringers just straight sections (meaning they dont zig-zag to follow the rise and run)?

if so, you are going to turn off the Revit-generated stringers, and place a 3:12 HSS profile in your balluster settings, and offset and position it to be at the stringer level. Make sense?

Edit: See this Thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2988&highlight=stairs) for more info!

David Haynes
2005-11-17, 10:11 PM
The structural engineering people in Revit Structure are asking for the use of steel shapes as stringers (so there is chance we might see it one day in Revit).

I know that does not help you now - Scott's answer is the present best work-around.

DanielleAnderson
2005-11-17, 11:13 PM
Yes, thanks to both of you, I did draw custom stringers and hid the stock ones and all is well.
I agree that shape stringers would be a great addition. :)

Danielle

DanielleAnderson
2005-11-18, 01:18 AM
Okay, I'm ba-ack...
I'm trying to get a continuous railing situation here, the problem is that I have a 3' handrail meeting a 3'6" guardrail and I just can't get it to connect correctly--am I missing something here???