PDA

View Full Version : Elevations and Surface Articulation?

bgoldman
2005-11-17, 12:16 PM
This is a general question on different techniques regarding articulating elevations especially speaking on diamond medallion accents or keystones. What are some techniques to create unique surface articulation. Please see the attached elevation. I tried using in-place families but I kept getting errors. Please help.

Thanks,

B

Andrew Dobson
2005-11-17, 12:57 PM
Good Question. I would also like to know the answer to this one, and how you would go about making a corinthian column capital

bgoldman
2005-11-17, 01:02 PM
Good Question. I would also like to know the answer to this one, and how you would go about making a corinthian column capital
Thanks for the support.

Regarding the corinthian column capital you might want to try this thread:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7551&highlight=corinthian+column

rhys
2005-11-17, 01:08 PM
Like this
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=23966&highlight=parametric+column
and how about this for articulation
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=20600

captainbunsaver
2005-11-17, 01:30 PM
For the soldier coursing, I would use "split face" and apply materials, but a wall sweep will work fine.
I created a wall-hosted 'diamond' shape that I use for medallions.
I also have other church type stuff if you want to contact me offline.

The Captain

bgoldman
2005-11-17, 01:37 PM
For the soldier coursing, I would use "split face" and apply materials, but a wall sweep will work fine.
I created a wall-hosted 'diamond' shape that I use for medallions.
I also have other church type stuff if you want to contact me offline.

The Captain
captain,

What's the best way to contact you? I might have a few things to a share also.

bgoldman
2005-11-17, 01:42 PM
Nice. Thanks! I think I was missing the reference planes when I was trying to make mine.

sbrown
2005-11-17, 02:17 PM
build the soider course into your wall structure, it doesn't have to be a sweep, you can slit the finish material in the structure of the wall. You can make the default wall in the structure setting as tall as you want and establish the heights for both your horizontal bands. For the medalions and Jack arches I would make a generic model family for the ones not attached to windows, and then load it into the window and door families.

As a second thought on the soldier courses, it would be easier if you don't anticipate major changes to build an inplace wall family. In elevation just create extrusions based on the wall surface. assign the proper materials(so you'll have one set of extrusions for the horizontals, and one for the verticals. Then you can use join geometry and it won't even need to stick out.

bgoldman
2005-11-17, 02:29 PM
build the soider course into your wall structure, it doesn't have to be a sweep, you can slit the finish material in the structure of the wall. You can make the default wall in the structure setting as tall as you want and establish the heights for both your horizontal bands. For the medalions and Jack arches I would make a generic model family for the ones not attached to windows, and then load it into the window and door families.

As a second thought on the soldier courses, it would be easier if you don't anticipate major changes to build an inplace wall family. In elevation just create extrusions based on the wall surface. assign the proper materials(so you'll have one set of extrusions for the horizontals, and one for the verticals. Then you can use join geometry and it won't even need to stick out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to try both methods.