PDA

View Full Version : 6.1 Gems

beegee
2004-03-11, 11:38 PM
Select Elements from Schedule Views
When a cell is selected in a schedule, it will be highlighted in graphic views. A show button on the options bar will bring up other views where the element can be seen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box Select to Add and Remove from Group
Box selection can now be used when adding or removing elements to/from groups. While adding or removing elements, there are finish and cancel buttons in the option bar. Use Finish to complete the selection process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transparent Filled Regions
Filled regions have a Background property. If set to Transparent, the background will show through non-solid fills. Solid fill behavior is unchanged.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Text Position and Alignment
In Revit 6.1 the Text Position and Text Alignment parameters have been consolidated into a single Read Convention parameter. Using this the user can specify which is the primary up direction for sheets and on which side to place text on vertical dimension strings. The former Below the Dimension Line setting for Text Position is no longer supported. Upgrade will reset dimensions with this setting to be above the dimension line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could just keep going.....

Maybe I will :evil:

Paul Monsef
2004-03-12, 12:00 AM
When using Pick to create elements,...

What kind of elements?? Walls?? like say,,,, picking from an imported sketch?? :!:

beegee
2004-03-12, 12:11 AM
This is in 6.0, not new 6.1 .. and available for Family creation.

Automatic Locking Available When Using Pick
When using Pick to create elements, an option is provided to lock the created elements to the picked element automatically

We don't have a lock box for align as yet. :cry:

Scott D Davis
2004-03-12, 01:55 AM
Conditional Parameters!
From Revit Help:

Formulas can comprise conditional statements. You enter conditional statements in the Formula box for a numerical parameter.

A conditional statement uses this structure:

IF (<condition>, <result-if-true>, <result-if-false>)

This means that values are entered for the parameter, depending on whether the condition is satisfied (true) or not satisfied (false). If the condition is true, return the true value. If the condition is false, return the false value.

Conditions can use numeric values, numeric parameter names, or Yes/No parameters. You can use the following comparisons in a condition: <, >, =. You can also use Boolean operators with a conditional statement: AND, OR, NOT. Currently, <= and >= are not implemented. To express such a comparison, you can use a logical NOT. For example, a<=b can be entered as NOT(a>b).

The following are some sample formulas that use conditional statements.

Simple IF: =IF (Length < 3000mm, 200mm, 300mm)

IF with logical AND: =IF ( AND (x = 1 , y = 2), 8 , 3 )

IF with logical OR: =IF ( OR ( A = 1 , B = 3 ) , 8 , 3 )

IF with Yes/No condition: =IF (Long, 50', 60') where Long is a Yes/No parameter defined as Long = Length > 40'.

Embedded IF statements: =IF ( Length < 35' , 2' 6" , IF ( Length < 45' , 3' , IF ( Length < 55' , 5' , 8' ) ) )

Scott D Davis
2004-03-12, 02:00 AM
Roof slope is editable in sketch mode next to the slope defining symbol! No need to enter the dialog box to change slope! Just click on the value as if it were a dimension.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-12, 02:21 AM
Mouse-wheel scrolling is available in schedule views. Move the mouse wheel to scroll vertically. Hold SHIFTand move the wheel to scroll horizontally.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-12, 02:24 AM
Room Tags:

If the error is Ambiguous Location, the warning dialog box includes a Reconcile Tags command. Click Reconcile Tags and the Reconile Tags dialog box opens. The dialog box lists all tags for the room by view name and allows you to choose which tag represents the correct space. All tags that are not in the correct space are either moved into the space or deleted if there is already a tag in that space.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-12, 02:26 AM
Ok so I've had some time to read about these things! Anyway, here's another!

When placing components or detail components, press SPACEBAR to rotate the element to align parallel and perpendicular to other elements the component snaps to. Each press of the SPACEBAR rotates the element to the next position. If there is no snapping, the component rotates through the orthogonal axes.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-12, 02:48 AM
The trial version has been extended to 60 days, that's very cool for users trying to evaluate the software. :)

i'm already having loads of fun with the conditional parameters!!!!! :twisted:

Scott D Davis
2004-03-12, 03:17 AM
Zoog!

Explain how to use the conditional parameters! I'm trying to use it on an existing window family "Casement 3x3 with Trim". I want to assign on/off control to the trim and muntins, but can't figure out how to connect the "on/off" parameter with the visibilty of the geometry.

TIA!

(Edit: Never mind! Figured out to click the "=" box in the element Properties dialog box for the 3D geometry I wanted to affect!)

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-12, 03:46 AM
Zoog!

Explain how to use the conditional parameters! I'm trying to use it on an existing window family "Casement 3x3 with Trim". I want to assign on/off control to the trim and muntins, but can't figure out how to connect the "on/off" parameter with the visibilty of the geometry.

TIA!

great minds think alike I guess. I am working on an super double hung window family that will display the approiate grid pattern depending on size and model number. It may also be able to turn on and off the upper and lower grid patterns independantly. It's an UBER window if you will, one family for an entire catalog :twisted: :twisted: I left my grid families at work so I'll post it tommorow if i get it working right.

anyway, to use the on/off feature, you have to create a new yes/no parameter and set it value to be stored by instance (ex. Mullions.) The select the muntin geometry and hit properties, then set the visible paramter equal to the mullion yes/no prameter. You should then see a check box availible for mullion in the family types dialouge!

Now if you want to make it conditional, add a statement to the formula line.

For example:

To make the mullion show at certain widths you can use:
[code:1:429b6ef381]=Width > 2' 6" --Where "Width" is window width--[/code:1:429b6ef381]
This will make the mullions turn on for any width greater than 2' 6" The statement is considered a true condiditon triggering a "yes", anything less than or equal to 2'6 will trigger a "no"

Now if you you want the muntins to turn off again at any thing greater than 3'6 use
[code:1:429b6ef381]=IF (Width < 2' 6",no, IF (width < 3'6", yes, no))[/code:1:429b6ef381]

This nested condition should cause the mullions to turn on at anything greater than or equal to 2' 6" and turn off again at anything greater 3'6"

Revit has just opened up a world of new possibilities!!!! :D

mlgatzke
2004-03-12, 04:54 AM
Chris,

Please let us know when you've got your Uber Window done. I'd like to modify it for my manufacturer specific libraries and type catalogs. I've just begun playing with 6's parametric array capabilities.

jason.martin
2004-03-12, 12:29 PM

[code:1:1142757fed]=Width > 2' 6" --Where "Width" is window width--[/code:1:1142757fed]

This will make the mullions turn on for any width greater than 2' 6" The statement is considered a true condiditon triggering a "yes", anything less than or equal to 2'6 will trigger a "no"

Now if you you want the muntins to turn off again at any thing greater than 3'6 use

[code:1:1142757fed]=IF (Width < 2' 6",no, IF (width < 3'6", yes, no))[/code:1:1142757fed]

You won't be able to use these formulas for the Yes/No param that controls the visibility of the mutins. At this time formulas are only allowed for numeric params, so you can't return a true / false or yes / no statment to the yes / no param :-(

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-12, 02:04 PM
[quote:f506b0bd59="czoog"]

[code:1:f506b0bd59]=Width > 2' 6" --Where "Width" is window width--[/code:1:f506b0bd59]

[code:1:f506b0bd59]=IF (Width < 2' 6",no, IF (width < 3'6", yes, no))[/code:1:f506b0bd59]

You won't be able to use these formulas for the Yes/No param that controls the visibility of the mutins. At this time formulas are only allowed for numeric params, so you can't return a true / false or yes / no statment to the yes / no param :-([/quote:f506b0bd59]

yup, found that out last night :cry:

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-12, 02:07 PM
But you can manually turn on and off different sets of mullions, so it's still pretty cool. :)

jason.martin
2004-03-12, 02:34 PM
True, and you can also set the visibility param up as a type param, so if you can specify, inside a family a "set" of windows with and a set without.

I haven't tried this, but you should also be able to create a type catalog with the visibility params specified.

eegbertson
2004-03-12, 02:57 PM
Enclosed is a family that uses this new ability to control the visibility of family elements. The image is a single family. This can also be applied to nested families as shown in the sample. I can't even imagine the limits of what this now allows.
Enjoy.

http://www.southforwinter.com/revit/vizparam.jpg

PeterJ
2004-03-12, 03:09 PM
Ah....smart lintel assemblies. Superb.

Paul Monsef
2004-03-12, 08:30 PM
I must be really easy to please... I LOVE the new non-intrusive warning box!! which pop up at the lower left corner........ :lol:

It's bad enough i have to get asked 15 times just to make absolutely certain i really, really, really want to delete a file.

I can keep on overlapping walls and it doesn't slow me down!!

jason.martin
2004-03-13, 02:06 AM
You won't be able to use these formulas for the Yes/No param that controls the visibility of the mutins. At this time formulas are only allowed for numeric params, so you can't return a true / false or yes / no statment to the yes / no param :-(

Hey all -

I wanted to correct this previous post of mine. You can use a yes / no param with if, then, and other types of formula.

The formula that you use should either return a false or true or a 0 or 1.

Example:

parameter name: Visibility
parameter type: Yes/No

Parameter name: Height
Parameter type: Length

The formula for Visibility can be

[code:1:c089d3f76d]Height > 2' 0"[/code:1:c089d3f76d]

If Height is 1' 0", visibility will be false / no / off
If Height is 3' 0", visibility will be true / yes / on

[code:1:c089d3f76d]if ( Height > 2' 0" , 1 , 0 ) [/code:1:c089d3f76d]

will produce the same results.

My apologies for any confusion.

jason.martin
2004-03-13, 02:10 AM

Hey all -

I wanted to correct this previous post of mine. You can use a yes / no param with if, then, and other types of formula.

Example:

[code:1:a9fbcfb022]Height > 2' 0"[/code:1:a9fbcfb022]

[code:1:a9fbcfb022]if ( Height > 2' 0" , 1 , 0 ) [/code:1:a9fbcfb022]

will product the same results.

My apologies for any confusion.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-13, 03:08 AM
[quote:dbdfde26e0="jason.martin"]

Hey all -

Example:

[code:1:dbdfde26e0]Height > 2' 0"[/code:1:dbdfde26e0]

[code:1:dbdfde26e0]if ( Height > 2' 0" , 1 , 0 ) [/code:1:dbdfde26e0]

My apologies for any confusion.[/quote:dbdfde26e0]

Excellent, so it can be done :D Yes/no just needs to be in a digital format. That would explain why I was having problems last night :roll:

Scott D Davis
2004-03-13, 03:18 AM
back to the basics....it's all about 1's and 0's!!!!

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-13, 03:39 AM

who you callin a 10010100010111001010? you 10110010011001!

:wink:

Martin P
2004-03-13, 08:25 AM
I must be really easy to please... I LOVE the new non-intrusive warning box!! which pop up at the lower left corner........ :lol:

It's bad enough i have to get asked 15 times just to make absolutely certain i really, really, really want to delete a file.

I can keep on overlapping walls and it doesn't slow me down!!

Me too, love that one....... it feels like a really tight and slick application just down to that one thing :) I cant wait to read some of the reviews. Really pleasantly suprised with this quick and superb release, it feels the best one yet :D , mind you, they always do!

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-25, 02:41 PM
[quote:0a0b2e5995="jason.martin"]

Hey all -

Example:

[code:1:0a0b2e5995]Height > 2' 0"[/code:1:0a0b2e5995]

[code:1:0a0b2e5995]if ( Height > 2' 0" , 1 , 0 ) [/code:1:0a0b2e5995]

My apologies for any confusion.[/quote:0a0b2e5995]

I still can't get this to work, i keep getting an "inconsistent units" error when trying to use a 0 or 1 to drive the yes/no.

Anybody else get it to work?

Z.

Steven Campbell
2004-03-25, 02:53 PM
Chris.
Post a screen capture of your type dialog with the formula and the family and I will let debug it for you.

Steven Campbell
Autodesk Revit

christo4robin
2004-03-28, 11:44 PM
Here is another one (might have come in 6.0)...

Site contour labels can now number from either shared or project base points!

Woohoo!

adegnan
2004-03-31, 03:46 AM
SO... I finally decided to try and become proficient at the family editor. I decided to start working on the Andersen windows to make them fit my use better... prairie grilles, wood interior grilles, casing, triple and quadruple mulled units, etc.

I haven't gotten very far yet. I decided to finally check back in here on Zoog Design. ANd I read this wonderful post and saw the examples posted!

So my question is... where should my learning begin? Do I work with the conventional family sets that were set up for Andersen? Or do I start learning all this new stuff? Woah, it is a little overwhelming now! I just want easy windows and doors!

TIA,
Abe

LRaiz
2004-03-31, 04:36 AM
I am a bit surprised that no one reacted to the 6.1 enhancement that allows dimensioning of entire wall with all its openings and intersecting walls by making a single selection click. Is it because no one is impressed or because people do not notice new controls in the option bar?

- LR

Scott D Davis
2004-03-31, 04:49 AM
Did I mention that the new 'single-click' dimensions ROCK! The ability to control whether windows and doors are dimensioned to opening or center is cool!

Oh, Leonid, didn't even see your post til now! :D

So many new features, maybe some didn't even realize it!

beegee
2004-03-31, 05:33 AM
Yeah, its a great tool !!!

I think this thread was just concentrating on all the little bitn'pieces that may have been overlooked in the rush of enjoying the really big improvements, ... of which the new one click dimension is certainly one 8)

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-31, 04:26 PM
I am a bit surprised that no one reacted to the 6.1 enhancement that allows dimensioning of entire wall with all its openings and intersecting walls by making a single selection click. Is it because no one is impressed or because people do not notice new controls in the option bar?
That's because your user base is entirely asleep at the wheel. That's a great new trick. Will have to inform the locals!

I forgot to read the "What's New in this Release" section in the help - I will do so today.

Steve_Stafford
2004-03-31, 04:59 PM
...I am a bit surprised that no one reacted to the 6.1 enhancement that allows dimensioning of entire wall...- LR

Not quite no one, I did...and one of our users at my last office discovered it pre-release and I mentioned it in THIS POST (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2960&highlight=)

I love it...great feature!

Henry D
2004-03-31, 07:33 PM
Dimensioning and entire string at once was one of the first things I noticed
in 6.1 - especially since it was on my wishlist, thanks Revit:

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1529&highlight=

Nic M.
2004-03-31, 07:46 PM
when the face of a wall and a reference line lie on the same place and you want to dimension the face of the wall, it seems that Revit now default snap to the wall instead of the reference line.

I allways had to tab to the wall, not any more Thanks

Chad Smith
2004-04-20, 06:44 AM
[quote:e81ddaac1a="jason.martin"]

Hey all -

Example:

[code:1:e81ddaac1a]Height > 2' 0"[/code:1:e81ddaac1a]

[code:1:e81ddaac1a]if ( Height > 2' 0" , 1 , 0 ) [/code:1:e81ddaac1a]

My apologies for any confusion.[/quote:e81ddaac1a]
I've been trying to get this working, but it refuses to.
Do you think you could post an example file?

Steven Campbell
2004-04-20, 02:00 PM
Try this example...
If you are using a yes/no parameter the formula is only: Height > 2'

Steven Campbell
Autodesk Revit

Nic M.
2004-04-20, 02:23 PM
Steven,

I'm trying to atach a visibility formula on a tablet of a window family.
If the Sill Height =0 then no tablet
If Sill Height>0 then tablet visibel

It seems I don't have access to the Sill Height parameter.

gnl
2004-04-20, 03:05 PM
Attached is an example of how it should work...
the box in the window is displayed only if sill height is more than 0...

isnt this what you were looking for?

Nic M.
2004-04-20, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the reply gnl,

I tried your window and the box disapears as the default Sill Height>0
but the window sill is still at 1000
I was hoping I could use the "system" Sill Height since all my windows are setup this way

Steven Campbell
2004-04-20, 03:59 PM
I believe Nic is referring to the system parameter "Sill Height" in the project. Unfortunately we do not have access to this parameter form the family side.

Steven Campbell
Autodesk Revit

gnl
2004-04-20, 04:16 PM
I see, and there is no way to access that parameter at all from the family editor? and why can't I create custom parameters to control that setting (sill height) in the instance properties? is this hardcoded the way it is?

Nic M.
2004-04-20, 05:04 PM
I remember from a previous post that this is a wish.
I hoped that maybe via some hocus pocus we where able to reach it.
Thanks for the clarity Steven

Persistance
2004-04-21, 02:04 AM
I sooo recommend everyone to learn about using:

1) The uniteless statement Area*Cost/(1mm^2) which returns a unitless value that you can use against anything ie Cost = Area X Integer this is so incredibly useful in your schedules where in a floor schedule you can add a calculated value which is Cost of Room which equals the Area X Cost Per Square Meter. We are currently using this to full preliminary costing in real time which is awsome as all you have to do is allocate a "Construction type" to each room tage

2) Visibilty for furniture so that you can have a desk that within the same family has returns, hutches, screens, modesty panels, that can be altered per type and have different costs. It will cull my furniture library in half.

Visibility is also great for doing things like if you have a variety of desk types and you want to denote them on a plan you just have say 7 different outlines of different colours in the family file and just turn one on at a time in each different "type"

3) Conditional statements great for arrays within library objects, also great for expodential costing of things like length or height of signage.

gnl
2004-04-21, 07:34 AM
The uniteless statement Area*Cost/(1mm^2) which returns a unitless value that you can use against anything ie Cost = Area X Integer this is so incredibly useful in your schedules where in a floor schedule you can add a calculated value which is Cost of Room which equals the Area X Cost Per Square Meter. We are currently using this to full preliminary costing in real time which is awsome as all you have to do is allocate a "Construction type" to each room tage

Just make sure you set the unit to 1m or you will get millimeter values in the formula (Area*Cost/(1mm ^2).

Not that you can calculate also volume units by using
(Volume * Cost/(1m^3)

One other thing to make sure is that the fomatting of the columns is the same for all of them or you might be getting inconsistent or rounded off values to different units, and your schedule may appear incorrect! (my personal experience...)

adegnan
2004-04-23, 05:11 PM
I just found these, but I'm a little slow:

-Spell checker
-Ability to save a family out of a project
-The "constrain" thumbtack
-The error reporting process upon a fatal crash!!! :x

Dean Camlin
2004-04-23, 09:04 PM
. . . And I don't think this has been mentioned either: The alignment locks now always seem to show up in the current view. No longer must we zoom out to look for the midpoint of the aligning object.

gregcashen
2004-04-23, 09:37 PM
I mentioned it in another thread, but you're right, it does not seem to be documented in the help or anywhere I remember?