PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to DWG - file naming?

mibzim
2005-11-18, 04:49 AM
I'm trying to export a bunch of sheets to CAD files, and it wont let me change the name so at least the prefix is correct for the set - is this something i am doing wrong or just a bug? It does the same for just a single file - i have to go and rename it every time as it automatically gives it the sheet name. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mibzim
2005-11-18, 05:08 AM
actually, while i'm at it, here is another question. the attached jpeg shows what revit exports automatically and what i want it to do. Has it been suggested that export names can be 'constructed' by defining which parameters of a sheet make up the name.

ie. Select project number, sheet number & issue number, set the order, and export a set, saving one from having to rename everything to the office standard?

Mr Spot
2005-11-18, 05:24 AM
It has been suggested, and was a wishlist item... not sure where abouts it got to...

Just change to manual naming as opposed to automatic naming to adjust what you'd like to name the file.

mibzim
2005-11-18, 05:54 AM
hmmmm.... its been one of those days where i knew i should have just stayed at home! can you believe i actually had to use the help file to find out what you were talking about, even tho the option is right there in front of my nose.... sigh

thanks for ignoring my stupidity and helpin mr spot!!

JamesVan
2005-11-18, 07:15 AM
You can also export all your sheets with the Automatic-Short naming convention, then use a free batch file renaming utility to make short work of the name changes. I use one called Smart File Renamer. Check on www.download.com (http://www.download.com/).

tyler.kawahara356150
2009-07-02, 05:44 PM
You can also export all your sheets with the Automatic-Short naming convention, then use a free batch file renaming utility to make short work of the name changes. I use one called Smart File Renamer. Check on www.download.com (http://www.download.com/).

Yes, one could do that. Every single time they export (not practical if you are exporting 20 views 2-3 tmes per day)

One could also use the manual name option as someone else suggested (not practical if you are exporting 20 views 2-3 tmes per day)

I've resigned myself to trying to push the short name option and using it as-is until Revit fixes this. This is invariably met with a "what's so hard about renaming the files?" My answer is that there's nothing hard about renaming files; but it takes time and it adds an (IMHO) uneeded step, opening the door for errors.