PDA

View Full Version : MaxonForm for Revit

AP23
2005-11-18, 11:06 AM
Will Revit develop a plugging like MaxonForm for Archicad? It should be child play for autodesk because they own Viz/Max and Maya, so they probably don't have to go the lengths like Archicad to collaborate.

http://www.aecbytes.com/review/MaxonForm.htm

trombe
2005-11-20, 12:13 AM
I would like to think it is feasible, viable and desirable to retain full modeling capabilities inside Revit and definitely not have a plug-in system.
I hope to see Revit steadily develop the modeling tools already there.

Plug-in software, might offer some advantages in terms of competition, but from a standing well away position, it looks like plug-in software like ArchiCAD ends up being limited in a way integrated systems would not.
For example, it must be much harder to manage the code and partnering issues when you have external groups trying to integrate with your master ( we know about this already in simple terms from our own collaboration / team data integration efforts).

ArchiCAD seems to be a program full of plug-ins. Maxonform as they said is a cut down version of Cinema 4D without rendering and if you read through a bit of their blurb about ArchiCAD 9, you see that it is not a seamless process to work with MaxonForm and Sketchup in the way they initially claim it is. In fact it seems to be a fair bit of jigging around, and it seems like you still have to do an editing process on several of the stages.

It might look flash from the cg gallery and Cinema 4D is clearly top class, but the integration of Maxonform appears far from how Revit works overall.
I don't buy it,.

I like the Revit approach and hope the modeling development program improves the toolset over the next 12 months with rendering being now a significantly more important component in the face of many new products and improvements to rival AEC software rendering functionality.

2c
trombe.

A3D
2005-11-20, 10:04 AM
Yes it would be nice, but...
Before getting some very sophisticated tools, I would like to see some basic ones fixed.
In the structural field, there are a lot of elements to be improved.
Rendering needs a serious rework.

These are bits that I face every day. A special form it's an exception and I have the feeling that although a bit clumsy you can get any shape in Revit.

Just my 2c.