PDA

View Full Version : CAD Trivia - Dynamic Blocks and older verisons of CAD

Rico
2005-11-18, 03:34 PM
What happens with Dynamic Blocks when saving down to an older version (say, you save your drawing as a 2000 file). Do the dynamic blocks:

1) revert to plain, old, regular blocks?
2) remain as dynamic blocks and retain all properties? (doubtful)
3) explode and become individual lines & plines?
4) disappear as older versions of CAD do not recognize the new Block format?

Anyone tried this before and experienced the results? I haven't yet, but it appears I am going to very soon. So I figured I'd get some input and knowledge before I do it.

BrenBren
2005-11-18, 04:20 PM
What happens with Dynamic Blocks when saving down to an older version (say, you save your drawing as a 2000 file). Do the dynamic blocks:

1) revert to plain, old, regular blocks?
2) remain as dynamic blocks and retain all properties? (doubtful)
3) explode and become individual lines & plines?
4) disappear as older versions of CAD do not recognize the new Block format?

Anyone tried this before and experienced the results? I haven't yet, but it appears I am going to very soon. So I figured I'd get some input and knowledge before I do it.
My experience (limited) has shown that they save as regular blocks with whatever visibility states you have set at the time of saving.

Chris.N
2005-11-18, 04:36 PM
.... one time at Cad Camp....
it was a question that was brought up, and as long as the 'earlier' version doesn't explode it (it's the only way they can manipulate it), it should still retain all dynamic properties when brought back to 2006. haven't tested it personally tho.

Augi Doggie
2005-11-18, 04:49 PM
My experience (limited) has shown that they save as regular blocks with whatever visibility states you have set at the time of saving.
Your (limited) experience is right on the money! The dynamic block will become a regular block with the current properties made permanent. Also, if you bring it back into 2006 it will no longer behave as a dynamic block.

Chris.N
2005-11-18, 04:56 PM
Your (limited) experience is right on the money! The dynamic block will become a regular block with the current properties made permanent. Also, if you bring it back into 2006 it will no longer behave as a dynamic block.Thanks!! good to know, but a bummer just the same...

Rico
2005-11-18, 05:12 PM
OK Cool. You guys are a waelth of knowledge. Now for the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION .... (OK, you don't really get a million dollars if you answer it) ;)

Dynamic Blocks and LT CAD ...... compatible or not? In other words, if I create a DB with my 2006 CAD, can LT Users modify them?

Opie
2005-11-18, 05:17 PM
OK Cool. You guys are a waelth of knowledge. Now for the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION .... (OK, you don't really get a million dollars if you answer it) ;)

Dynamic Blocks and LT CAD ...... compatible or not? In other words, if I create a DB with my 2006 CAD, can LT Users modify them?
I believe they will be able to use them, just not be able to create them from scratch. But you could always try it out and let us know what you get. ;)

Rico
2005-11-18, 07:38 PM
I believe they will be able to use them, just not be able to create them from scratch. But you could always try it out and let us know what you get. ;)
:shock: you want ME to do the work?

i'll post shortly and report findings. ;)

Opie
2005-11-18, 07:44 PM
:shock: you want ME to do the work?

i'll post shortly and report findings. ;)
At least I won't have too ;)

Chris.N
2005-11-18, 08:06 PM

LT? what's that? ;)

Mike.Perry
2005-11-20, 05:38 PM

Dynamic Blocks and LT CAD ...... compatible or not? In other words, if I create a DB with my 2006 CAD, can LT Users modify them?Hi

Take a look at the following thread...

Dynamic Blocks in LT 2006 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=26459)

+

Key Differences Between AutoCAD LT 2006 and AutoCAD 2006 (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5129908) ( Creation of Dynamic Blocks )

Have a good one, Mike

Mike.Perry
2005-11-20, 05:58 PM
What happens with Dynamic Blocks when saving down to an older version (say, you save your drawing as a 2000 file). Do the dynamic blocks:Hi

AutoCAD 2006 Tip: Dynamic Block (http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2005/03/autocad_2006_dy_1.html) by Shaan Hurley

Have a good one, Mike

Rico
2005-11-21, 02:45 PM
Hi

AutoCAD 2006 Tip: Dynamic Block (http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2005/03/autocad_2006_dy_1.html) by Shaan Hurley

Have a good one, Mike
Thanks Mike, that was gravy!

darthyoga
2006-02-07, 10:58 PM
When the DB is opened in an earlier release, will it retain the visibilty state name or revert back to the original block name. If I have more than one instance of a block with different states of visibility will it cancel itself out when it becomes a single block in an earlier release ?
eg,
blockname : DOOR
State : with handle
State : with window

Will they all look like a door with a window and a handle when it becomes a block in an earlier release?

Rico
2006-02-21, 07:27 PM
When the DB is opened in an earlier release, will it retain the visibilty state name or revert back to the original block name. If I have more than one instance of a block with different states of visibility will it cancel itself out when it becomes a single block in an earlier release ?
eg,
blockname : DOOR
State : with handle
State : with window

Will they all look like a door with a window and a handle when it becomes a block in an earlier release?
The block will retain whatever visibility it was in. so if you have 3 doors, one basic and one with each of the two other visibility states (3 vis states in total) each block will remain as it appears. one basic door, one door with handle, and one door with window.

esdeyo
2006-02-22, 05:38 PM
Right now there are only a couple of us that have dynamic block capabilities. I save all my dwgs as 2000 format, including dynamic blocks. Older versions view the dynamic blocks as their current display state. I can open up a drawing & change the dynamic properties & save it again, I shows the new properties but only I can change them.

Rico
2006-02-22, 07:26 PM
Right now there are only a couple of us that have dynamic block capabilities. I save all my dwgs as 2000 format, including dynamic blocks. Older versions view the dynamic blocks as their current display state. I can open up a drawing & change the dynamic properties & save it again, I shows the new properties but only I can change them.
That's right. Only you can change the dynamic Block Properties. Older versions of CAD don't read Dynamic Blocks, but the dynamic poperties are not discarded. They are only, I guess for lack of a better word, ignored. But you can always go in and change properties and add to the DB if you need to, or even delete. CAD will retain whatever vis state you give the DB in older versions. Kind of tedious, but then again, that's why everyone needs to be upgraded. To take advantage of these great new features.

r424andy
2006-02-23, 04:15 PM
On a side note...dynamic blocks are not visible in design center of older versions. You can still browse for and insert them only. Updated our blocks with new base points (within the block editor)..and oops...our LT and older version guys dont see them any more..LOL!!!

Chris.N
2006-02-23, 04:48 PM
and oops...our LT and older version guys dont see them any more..LOL!!! LOL??? twisted sense of cad humor...... :roll: (i think i like this guy!!!) ;)

nickeshaffer
2006-02-24, 03:26 PM
Stupid question.... is a Dynamic Block different than a regular Block?

Chris.N
2006-02-24, 03:45 PM
Stupid question.... is a Dynamic Block different than a regular Block?yes, it is unique to release 2006, and will lose DBness when opened and saved by an older version and then brought back to 2006. you will have to re-insert DB from 2006 to fix.

nickeshaffer
2006-02-24, 03:48 PM
yes, it is unique to release 2006......

And the advantages? I've had '06 for a grand total of two weeks now!!! So im just learning the querks

Rico
2006-02-24, 04:01 PM
And the advantages? I've had '06 for a grand total of two weeks now!!! So im just learning the querks The ability to combine multiple (similar) blocks into one monster master block. Semi intelligent and able to reduce drawing times, it's the future of CAD drafting, IMHO.

Check the Dynamic Block Sharing Thread in this forum. If you don't see the advantages for yourself, then you don't really understand about DBs. Save and bring in the blocks into your drawing (drag & drop, sometimes) and play with them. You'll fall in love with DBs.

Also, check your New Features Workshop and take the tour of what Dynamic Blocks can do. It's hard to sit through such a slow tutorial, but you get a very good idea about DBs through there. That's where I began.

nickeshaffer
2006-02-24, 04:34 PM
Awsome! thanks!!

Chris.N
2006-02-24, 04:52 PM
And the advantages? I've had '06 for a grand total of two weeks now!!! So im just learning the querks see HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=28359).....

esdeyo
2006-02-24, 07:36 PM
What version are you on?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5127325
see for Dynamic block information.

nickeshaffer
2006-02-24, 07:52 PM
I've had '06 for a grand total of two weeks now!!! So im just learning the querks

see above reply